Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Yeah if you look at your picture in post 50 of this thread you can see that the exhaust valve is whats located at what would be the front of the motor. Look and you'll see that ajoining cylinders have mirror image valve layout (exhaust,intake,intake,exhaust,exhaust,intake,inta ke,exhaust). Turn the motor and watch the exhaust open and then close (exhaust stroke) and then the intake open and close (intake stroke) and then bring motor up on TDC on balancer (compresssion stroke).
    1995 Supra Sunsport 454

So, I finally had a chance to get back and deal with the timing issue. I was definitely 180 out, long story short, I got the motor running today. I didn't run it long, but I did bring it up to 1200 rpm and checked the cam angle with diacom, it was at 640 so I need to adjust the timing a bit.

I found my impeller had lost a few vanes so I disassembled it and my trans cooler to clean out the debris. I've decided to redesign how my hoses are set up back there (I was loosing about 1/3 diameter from a funky turn I made with the impeller to trans cooler hose, swapping to a 90 degree elbow instead).

I heard a ticking noise, but it might be a lifter that isn't pumped up yet or a loose rocker, I'm going to investigate that after I get the timing set right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the rockers adjusted today, which seems to have solved the ticking/clicking noise I heard. I also got my raw water pump installed again, to find out that the rear seal is leaking -_-

As for the timing, when trying to adjust the timing at 1200 RPM, the motor started to choke and eventually die at 650 degrees.

When I raise the rpm over 2000, the motor stumbles and dies as well. I'm at a bit of a loss, any suggestions on what I can do to get this timing set right? Am I off by a tooth or two on the distributor?

Here's a little video of it running at idle

650 degrees??

Default Overheated this weekend - 0 compression in 5 and 7

Yep, 650 degree cam angle. That's what diacom is reporting.

According to this, I should be at 705.
    https://www.bakesonline.com/images/M...tionTiming.pdf

Last edited by pridekit; 01-02-2016 at 11:42 AM.

My 2005 uses the 10 BTDC at the crank timing spec. Are you sure yours is MEFI 5?

If it is, the 705 cam degrees would be the same as 7.5 degrees BTDC at the crank. Even if you skipped a tooth installing the distributor, it would merely result in an odd distributor angle, but you would still be able to adjust it.

I'm positive it's mefi 5. Very strange, I wonder why it's so far off.

Here's someone from the Malibu forums with a similar issue (skip down to the last couple of posts).

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...rebuild/page-2

Well, I figured out what I did wrong

Here's where my rotor at 1

And here's my crank position

So I'm firing way after TDC. I'm still trying to figure out how it even cranked up and idled.

Resetting the dist. now.

I reset to 1 TDC, pulled the distributor out until I cleared the cam gear. I was off a little bit on my alignment so I turned the rotor clock wise a smidge, dropped the distributor in. The point on the rotor was perfectly centered on the 8 stamped in the distributor.

She fired right up, let her warm up, the checked my cam angle, I was at 706, I adjusted around and couldn't hear much of a difference in sound so I decided to settle right on 705.

Thanks for the help everyone! I learned a hell of a lot from this adventure!!!