Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

It was an interesting project! What tool are you using to read the cam timing?

Rinda tech's DIACOM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neat software...did you find a reasonable price source for it, or end up paying retail? I'd love to have it, but $500 is a bit steep just to set timing every few years.

Unfortunately I bit the bullet and bought it direct from Rinda. It's definitely a really cool piece of software, and in someways I hope I don't have to use it very much. But, at least I have it if I need to lol. I was primarily concerned with DTCs when I purchased it, I didn't expect to have to use it to set the timing :P

It also came in handy to troubleshoot an issue with my pedal position sensor (it was getting stuck in spots and I thought it was my throttle position sensor).

I was afraid of that. Guess I'll wait for a major fix to warrant the investment. Glad you got your boat all set for next season!

Bumping this back from the dead. I just bought this boat. Glad I found this post. I got most of this story before I closed the deal. Interesting to read the whole thing through. Looks like I’ll be rebuilding this over the winter. I just rebuilt the 350 in my last boat. Best part is I also had my distributor 180 degrees out and spent two days trying to figure out what I did.

I got it apart:

No compression on 5 and 7 and I found out why. The manifolds and risers were shot by the time I took ownership. It was parked for sale for nearly 2 years. My guess is salt water leaked out of the manifold or riser and puddled up on the back side of the exhaust valves. Being that the engine sits on an angle, cyl 1 was ok, 3 had some pitting and 5 & 7 were toast. I’m taking the heads to the machine shop now for new seats. Thankfully I had a set of these heads sitting here that were cracked, the valves in those were perfect. I can’t even describe what the valves looked like when I pulled them from these heads.. Pictures attached.

Update, the valve seats were able to be cut and we replaced the valves. New manifolds installed and she’s running again. I broke the perfect pass throttle cable extension, but I’m putting a ball and socket end on the cable direct to the pedal sensor for now. I don’t need the perfect pass this summer or what’s left of the summer I should say. I have a huge project ahead of me this winter with the interior. I’ll start my own thread for that. I figured I would just add on to this one since it’s relevant and the same boat, new owner.