Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
    Before tearing it all down just do a simple test. Put a couple of teaspoons in the cylinder that is at 0 compression then do a compression test. if the compression comes up then it's your rings, piston or block. if it doesn't then your in luck and it is probably your head or gasket. Then just to make sure it is just your heads have them sent off for a test. Hopefully you will get luck like i did and it is just a vortec head. 400.00 from napa and very simple to install. It's just torqueing in the right order. Start in the center and spiral outwards from there.
    Best of luck
    i think he means a couple teaspoons of oil. It would be difficult to get the teaspoons through the spark plug hole.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

A little oil will raise a low compression...but afraid it's asking too much to fix a zero compression

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    A little oil will raise a low compression...but afraid it's asking too much to fix a zero compression
    it's simply a test to see if it's rings, Old school trick so you don't waste to much time.
    Function before fashion!

That it is, but for for worn rings. If the rings are melted to the pistons, as it would take for a zero compression reading, the oil will just blow right on by. A zero reading is a sign of pretty significant damage.

So, I got the head pulled off this weekend. It was a lot easier than I was anticipating, short of getting anti-freeze everywhere -_-
    I didn't feel or see any scoring in the cylinder walls.

Here are the pictures

IMG_4630.JPG

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

I forgot to mention that I dropped the head off at a local machine shop for them to look at and see if it is warped, cracked, etc.

Nothing jumps out at me from the pics...except that you have been getting water in the #5 and 7 holes. If they don't find a crack in the head, then the exhaust valves may be sticking, which would then allow water in from the riser on the intake stroke. It isn't likely a crack would result in 0 compression, but stuck valves could account for it.

The water is indicated by the very clean pistons compared to the normal carbon you would expect, like on the 1 and 3 holes...and also the corrosion on the valve heads. I'm not sure what the goo is on the #7 chamber. Was it hard or soft and gooey?

Hopefully it's just sticking valves, as they are an easy (and relatively inexpensive) fix.
    Last edited by CJD; 09-22-2015 at 01:14 AM.

That stuff was soft. Before the overheat, the plug in #7 would always have gunk on it. I figured it was some build up in the chamber that would eventually burn off. Also, the water theory makes sense as the plug was hard to pull out of #7. It had a slight bit of rust on it, I thought it may have just been from a splash of salt water getting on it a while back (the trans cooler intake hose had a small leak and I had salt water entering the engine area, had to limp home)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking I may replace or at least clean the lifters while I have it disassembled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk