Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm Riser

Default Warm Riser

Hello all,

First time posting here, but have been reading/learning and enjoying everyone's pics for a couple years now.
    Finally got my dream boat this year and have been enjoying it for a couple months now.

Developed a fuel leak over Labor Day weekend. (supply line at carburetor, new fitting and gasket) Repaired that today.
    While I was running the engine off a hose checking my work (and enjoying the sound) I noticed there is a lot more water coming out of the port exhaust than starboard.

Jumped in the boat, and to the touch the starboard riser (I hope this is correct termonalagy) was warm port was cool.
    Manifold (again termonalagy) on port side cool all over, starboard side warm to the aft and cool fore.

Water lines exiting "thermostat housing" are both cool, removed starboard side and probed into manifold to find no blockage.

I guess my question is, where is the common restriction? I have water in but not out?
    Looking for some guidance/subject knowledge before I tear the exhaust off?

Side question:
    Should this engine ever hit 180 degrees?
    PO said it runs around there.....
    If my pics turned out (since this is my first time posting) you can see my fake water supply attached directly to the "trans cooler"? (termonalagy) I hope this is a correct method of faking.
    At idle after 5-10 minutes water on top of thermostat housing cold, below it around the circulation pump hot. This is at 180 degrees on gauge. Engine stays there or a little hotter or colder on the lake.

Thermostat stuck closed?

Hope my first post works out and finds everyone well.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    89 Comp

How much water coming from each side from the Stern isn't reliable until it has been running for a while sure to the boat being not level and water sitting in the system until it is full. Temp readings unless on either side of extreme is also unreliable on a hose. Next thing to do before tearing into the exhaust manifolds is to get temp gun and take readings. Once you start getting into the manifolds you run the risk of breaking studs and bolts and replacing the gaskets (which wouldn't be a bad idea regardless since your in there. Hope that helps
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    How much water coming from each side from the Stern isn't reliable until it has been running for a while sure to the boat being not level and water sitting in the system until it is full. Temp readings unless on either side of extreme is also unreliable on a hose. Next thing to do before tearing into the exhaust manifolds is to get temp gun and take readings. Once you start getting into the manifolds you run the risk of breaking studs and bolts and replacing the gaskets (which wouldn't be a bad idea regardless since your in there. Hope that helps
    Ok,
    There is a floor drain on the port side of boat, so I guess it could be leaning 2 or 3 inches that way.
    I'll shoot everything with the gun next time I'm out.

What is a normal operating temperature range for one of these engines?

Thanks, CornRickey

89 Comp

Mine shows 170-175. I guess it all matters what thermostat you have. I don't completely believe my gauge when it goes up past 170 though. Resistance in the circuit can cause false rises in temp.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I don't see anything wrong, as you are describing it. The temp it runs is the temp of the thermostat the PO put in. The factory usually uses a 165 degree thermostat, but if it was changed to a 185 degree (more common in cars), then that is what you should see. When you shut down on the lake, the temp will cool pretty quickly and show at the next start up. If you are pulling really hard, it is not uncommon for the temp to rise a few degrees.

So just enjoy it!

Thanks,
    Temps around here have been in the low 40's in the am and barely touching 70 in the afternoon, so I wasn't really excited about enjoying it this weekend.
    Hopefully I'll get out at least once more.....
    Got the new 160 degree thermostat in my wish list basket on SKIDIM (RPO26002) gonna change it with the winter or spring service just for piece of mind.

I was discussing my fuel repairs and the water flow from the stern with my lead tech this morning at work and the first thing he said was "the boats leaning that way". I would have never thought it would matter. Thought both sides would be under the same water pressure.

Thanks again.

89 Comp

If you have a heater, or plan to install one, the 185 degree may be a good thing. End of the season is always sad.

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    If you have a heater, or plan to install one, the 185 degree may be a good thing. End of the season is always sad.
    I don't and don't plan to.....but my wife might be on board with that upgrade.
    It's hard to get her out unless it's pushing 80 degrees.
    Heated observer seat?

I've wanted one of these boats since I was 10 years old, this first year has been awesome so putting her up will be hard.

One season ends another begins.
    We're big time downhill skiers so add some clothes, narrow skis and the fun never stops.

89 Comp

Congrats on the purchase! Where in Central MI are you at? I am in NE Indiana and have Family in Saginaw!

Putting them up in the winter does suck. Just make sure to winterize good... esp where you are at!
    86 Saltare

Thanks,
    Mount Pleasant, lived here all my life.
    Getting my ducks in a row for my first winterize. I've learned a lot from reading various posts but I'm sure I'll have some questions for you guys.

89 Comp