Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 93 Sunsport Low Top Speed and RPM

Hello all, today I went and checked out a 93 Sunsport. It has the pro boss 351 engine. Overall I liked the boat but was a little concerned when I took it out for a lake test. The boat seemed to run a little rough when cold, but improved once it warmed up. Acceleration seemed ok, though I have never driven a sunsport so I have nothing to compare it to. However, I could not get the boat over 34mph, verified by gps, on totally flat glass like water and hardly any wind. My memory is a little foggy but I believe the rpms were only about 3k at wide open throttle.

Engine hours are 800. My question is, would this likely be caused by an ignition and/ or carb issue? Or could this be a sign of low compression or something more serious? The prop looked perfect. I really like the boat and would have bought it had the lake test gone well. As of now I am still considering it.

Also, temp gauge is not working so, not sure if that might have anything to do with it.
    Last edited by Straitcountry86; 09-15-2015 at 12:39 AM.

What prop it is will make a huge difference. Do you know what it has?
    For reference - my '86 Sunsport (which is essentially same hull) with a stock Pleasurecraft 351 (Holley carb, 260 HP) on a stock prop would see 40 mph. When I re-propped (Acme 541) and installed new Holley 4160 carburetor the hole-shot increased a ton an the top speed went up to 42 mph. Don't recall the RPM's. Conditions were glass and I was by myself.

People have posted about issues with the coil packs on the Boss engines. Other possible causes in addition to the prop:
    boat carrying excess weight
    bottom of the hull creating drag (is it a trailered boat?)
    bad fuel or fuel delivery problems
    timing, not sure if that's the same as the coil pack issue

More?

Thanks for the input guys. I don't know what kind of propeller is on the boat, but I can't imagine that alone would be limiting it to such a low speed and RPM. The boat is trailered, but upon inspecting the hull before we put it in the water, I didn't see anything that would be stuck on the bottom creating drag.

I guess my main question is, does this sound like a serious engine problem i.e. low compression? Or something relatively minor like a fuel/ignition issue? If it's the latter it might still be worth buying this boat. If the engine needs a total rebuild, then obviously not.

Compression test is easy and not reaching proper RMPs is a great reason to request either access to run the test or to request that the boat be taken to a shop for one.

RPMs should probably be 5200 give or take...just guessing. 3k is really low.

Did the seller say anything about it? You might tell him that without any further info you can only suspect a rebuild is necessary and have to price that into your offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Compression test is easy and not reaching proper RMPs is a great reason to request either access to run the test or to request that the boat be taken to a shop for one.

RPMs should probably be 5200 give or take...just guessing. 3k is really low.

Did the seller say anything about it? You might tell him that without any further info you can only suspect a rebuild is necessary and have to price that into your offer.
    Thanks. With that in mind, assuming it does need a rebuild, what do you feel would be a reasonable offer? The boat is in otherwise fair condition. The seller didn't say anything about it, and before the lake test said the boat would get up to 40 no problem. When I told them it only made it to 34, they had no explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Straitcountry86 View Post
    Thanks. With that in mind, assuming it does need a rebuild, what do you feel would be a reasonable offer? The boat is in otherwise fair condition. The seller didn't say anything about it, and before the lake test said the boat would get up to 40 no problem. When I told them it only made it to 34, they had no explanation.
    That's hard to say without more info and location. I think at this point I'd press for the compression test and go from there. Try to feel the seller out to see if he realizes that a boat that's not in good working condition should be priced accordingly. It could just need a tune-up.

Maybe someone else with a Boss can shed some light on the coil packs.

I'll probably ask the seller for a compression test and see what happens.

Keep us posted of the result. I had a Supra Mariah that topped out at 40 at 3900 rpm. Could not get timing advance to exceed 31 degrees.

Sooner or later your toys own you

I have not been able to get the comp. test done yet. The local marinas are all too busy pulling out and winterizing boats, and it could be weeks until they have the time to do it. I am thinking of just buying the boat and taking a chance on it. Thoughts?