Default Chasing the wake

I'm fairly new to the forums (I joined in 2013 when I got my boat, but haven't been active). I wanted to share some results from surfing over this past weekend. I've been chasing a great wake for wakeboarding, but haven't really spent any time trying to dial it in for surf. Long story short, I was shocked at how far back I was able to get from the boat without it leaning to one side aggressively. We only had 3 in the boat, and 1 person surfing, but I've heard and seen people leaning the boat with 1800lbs+ of ballast. I have 2 250lbs on each side of the engine, and 2 350's. 1 in the bow, 1 on the floor in the back. My buddy wanted to see how to finish surfing by stepping on the swim deck, and stepping into the boat. So I went to show him, and was impressed how far back I was able to go and still recover with a little effort. Anyway, here's a quick video that I thought I'd share. I know it's not a world class wake, but I liked how drivable the boat was with that kind of surfability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QudGS133hN4

Just noticed this is not in the surfing section. I further show my noob to the forums. (Can a Mod remove this? I've copied and pasted it in the correct section.)
    Last edited by twisterad3; 09-21-2015 at 08:29 PM. Reason: wrong forum

what speed are you going? Your wave is pretty small, no question there. To get the push necessary, you're probably using a quick board. I'm curious how fast you're having to go to clean that up.

Also, your platform is cutting into your wake. If you ever made a custom platform that got rid of that lip that's digging in, it would be even better.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Hi Trayson,

First up, I'm a big fan of your posts. I've read tons and tons of them, and you are an inspiration to the DIY Sunsport owners.
    I was going a solid 11mph. I'm using an older Ronix Cortez, 4'8" board. The last few months I've been trying to get a surf able wake without listing the boat hard from one side , since there's tons of Wake Setters, X Stars, G25's that would probably sink us as they pass by....
    I will likely be building a platform the eliminate the dig, especially since my brother drove the boat into the doc while launching and cracked the currently platform. A question for you, does it make that big of a difference? Like worth the few $X00 it'll take to make a decent platform?

If you can build it doesn't take much money, but to answer your question......yes it's well worth the money.
    Function before fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by twisterad3 View Post
    Hi Trayson,

First up, I'm a big fan of your posts. I've read tons and tons of them, and you are an inspiration to the DIY Sunsport owners.
    I was going a solid 11mph. I'm using an older Ronix Cortez, 4'8" board. The last few months I've been trying to get a surf able wake without listing the boat hard from one side , since there's tons of Wake Setters, X Stars, G25's that would probably sink us as they pass by....
    I will likely be building a platform the eliminate the dig, especially since my brother drove the boat into the doc while launching and cracked the currently platform. A question for you, does it make that big of a difference? Like worth the few $X00 it'll take to make a decent platform?
    You can typically be into a new platform for under a couple hundred if I remember correctly.

Is it worth it? I would say yes. But that's up to you. I mean, how much is a clean wave worth that doesn't have a big shovel robbing it of push? How much is extra push worth??? to me a lot. I would imagine it'd be worth something to you since you're not willing to slam your boat with as much weight as many others would.

And thanks for the compliments.

You can by all means build a temporary platform out of some plywood and throw some cheap foam on it. that's what I did for my prototype version on my sunsport. basically free wood and like $10 of cheap closed cell foam. We threw some thompsons water seal on it, but knew it was destined for scrap eventually. But it lasted a whole season, so not bad at all.

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

How much does the Trim come into play with the wave? If at all what do you usually have it set to?

Quote Originally Posted by plav77 View Post
    How much does the Trim come into play with the wave? If at all what do you usually have it set to?
    Mine is hydraulic. so I can control it on the fly. I tend to have mine all the way down for slalom skiing. I have it anywhere between 1/4 down and 1/2 down for surfing and wakeboarding. I just tweak it and watch what it does to the wave.

When I had a fixed one on my sunsport, I think I had it about 1/4 of the way down.