Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gogger
    The bolts within the inspection plate do not need to come off. The trans and V drive have a splined connection. Once you get all the v-drive bolts undone (6 I think) it should jiggle forward and separate. And you will definitely need to support the back of the motor for the trans removal. Also dont overlook lip seals and stainless studs when the re-assembly happens.
    Good luck
    Carl

Well we have a couple days of rain coming. And then I will get back in there and hopefully get that last nut off. Where are the lip seals your talking about?
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Well I finally got the V-drive off. The floor had to come up over the gas tank so I could get it far enough Forward to get it off the shaft. Now have to prop the engine up so that I can pull the trans loose. Guess in just slides out and then I can work on the bell housing. I would have pulled the trans tonight, but getting dark at 5:45 pm makes it tough to work on it. Just hard to stay motivated. Going to wire brush the v drive and paint it up. Brackish water has it looking shabby. Amazing how much dirt was behind and under everything. Thought the interior of my boat was pretty clean, until I started taking it apart. Every place you couldn't see was terrible.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by gogger View Post
    Thought the interior of my boat was pretty clean, until I started taking it apart. Every place you couldn't see was terrible.
    Said the same thing this time last year when I tore my boat apart and I am sure everyone who has done a cap off said the same.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Well I finally got the V-drive off. The floor had to come up over the gas tank so I could get it far enough Forward to get it off the shaft. Now have to prop the engine up so that I can pull the trans loose. Guess in just slides out and then I can work on the bell housing. I would have pulled the trans tonight, but getting dark at 5:45 pm makes it tough to work on it. Just hard to stay motivated. Going to wire brush the v drive and paint it up. Brackish water has it looking shabby. Amazing how much dirt was behind and under everything. Thought the interior of my boat was pretty clean, until I started taking it apart. Every place you couldn't see was terrible.
    Guess in just slides out and then I can work on the bell housing.
    I have a 2001 Supra Launch SSV and had to pull my trans 2 years ago since the damper plate broke, well a couple of the springs did.
    The engine was pulled in 2008 and back then we had no problem, it was still in Georgia by then and only seen fresh water. It just slid off. It was the guy/mechanic selling the boat to me that pulled it though.
    Now in the off-season of 2013/14 it had seen 5 seasons of salt water here in Sweden and it didn't just slide off. The shaft was badly corroded and stuck to the damper plate.

I found another thread on here describing how to pull it, think it was on a 454 and not a 350 like mine, but everything was really the same.

We choose to unmount the trans-mounts from the boat itself and then unbolted all the bell housing bolts. We put a hoist/engine lift on the engine to support it.
    Now when got to the part where it said "slide" the transmission off, we got it moving maybe 1/8 of an inch. Then it was stuck.
    First we tried prying with a screw driver, then a crow bar, finally we used two 5 feet iron bar levers together with a 10 pound sledgehammer and put all the force we could on it and finally we actually broke one of the mounts on the damper plate. Then we had to unscrew the rest of the bolts holding the damper plate to the flywheel through our little gap.
    After all of this we got the transmission off the engine. But to get the damper plate off the transmission we finally used an angle grinder and split the damper plate "female" shaft in half. Left a small mark on the shaft on the trans, but works fine.

Hopefully you won't have to go through something similar. I guess the mechanic didn't put any grease on the shaft when remounting the engine (do that!) and that the salt water is far worse than the brackish.

Bottom line. Make sure you unbolt all the bell housing bolts and either the trans from the mounts or the mounts from the boat and then try to slide it off. If you can only move it a very small amount don't spend too much time looking for the bolt that you forgot (god knows I did). Don't be surprised if it needs quite a bit of force between the bell housing and the engine. If all else failed I have heard you can drill a hole in the bell housing and use a socket wrench through the hole to unscrew the damper plate from the engine. Though I don't know how to be sure of where to drill the hole?

Hopefully yours just slides off.

I know I could have saved several hours of looking for the invisible bolt and prying with a screwdriver or just pulling on it, jiggling it if I had known what to expect.

edit
    Might be this thread: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...te-replacement
    Last edited by roosm; 11-18-2015 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks. Hopefully it comes off easier than that.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Finally got the transmission pulled out. The dampner plate broke off the flywheel. Ordered a new one today. Hopefully I get it in installed before winter arrives. Took about 12 hours labor to get everything out and pulled. I pulled and reinstalled the engine and transmission out of the pirata in about four hours. lol
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

It's a shame the flex plate isn't more durable, considering how hard it is to get to it!

That hose is for the dripless shaft seal.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I will add a picture of the new dampner plate shortly, but it is much more heavy duty. So apparently it is a known problem, or I doubt someone would have designed a heavier duty one.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec