Default PCM Protec Pro Boss EFI

A few questions for anyone out there knowledgeable with this system. From my reading I have found that:

- Protec w/carb you can convert to conventional distributor and be fine

- Protec w/EFI you are screwed if the Protec system goes out and have to convert to carb and distributor.

I talked with Vince at Skidim on 10/06/2015 and he said there are no parts available anymore for these systems (even EFI which they were hoarding parts for). Being the engineer that I am, I can't understand why there isn't a way to run the TBI setup with a conventional distributor. I found a thread over on the Nautique forum that said there is only one wire that goes between the Protec module and the fuel injection module. (See post #10)
    http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/fo...injection-prob

From another thread I found it appears that this wire might be the tachometer wire. Below photo #5 it talks about the tach wiring.
    http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum...-ignition-swap

If this is true, what is keeping someone from tapping into the tach signal from a distributor and retaining the TBI setup? I may be way off base here, but I'm just writing down my thoughts.

I went poking around with the multimeter and confirmed that there is only one wire that goes between the Protec module and the fuel injection module. This wire also shared continuity with one of the wires at the trigger connection (where the distributor would be on a normal engine). It seems to me that it is in fact just the wire for engine speed (or tach).

I have a fully functioning system right now, but knowing that at some point it will fail, I'd like to learn about the system while it is working.

My biggest question is why does everyone say the EFI won't work without Protec. "Because it won't" isn't an acceptable answer to me, I'd really like to understand why.

I suppose anything is possible. Only way to know is to try. There are some very knowledgeable guys over at CCFan. Has anyone there tried or been able to make it work? If you're looking for the "wise old man" on the subject, you've already found him: Vince.
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

This is an expensive fix but I know it will work. Holley Avenger EFI System. I am getting ready to install on a 87 Sunsport
    Chris Walker
    President, www.spotlessboat.com
    President Emeritus, www.usawakeboard.com