Hybrid View

Default 2002 Supra Launch Winterizing Question

Just got a boat this summer and going to winterize it myself. I've done my RV lots of times but first time on a boat.
    It gets pretty cold up here in canada and I'd feel better knowing my water system is full of Antifreeze then draining it and missing something.
    Also all the local shops I called use antifreeze and don't just drain the water out.
    I see allot of instructions on how to drain the water out and not use antifreeze but not any how to use it.
    Is it simply using a Fake-a-lake and pumping it into your system?
    Also where can I get a part list of the Oil Filter and Impeller I need to purchase?
    I'm guessing Synthetic Oil is recommended?
    Thanks for any help.
    Paul

I use Pennzoil marine 15w40 oil and your impeller should be a Johnson 09812b.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Do most people use an oil extractor or drain the oil out the bottom some how?

You'll have to check if you have a hose connected to your oil pan. Not sure what models/engines have it (or if someone was able to add one at some point.) If that is there, you can drain out the bottom. If it's not, you'll have to use an extractor.

And for the RV antifreeze, pull your thermostat out, attach a hose to your raw water pickup (you may be able to pull it off the transmission cooler and either create a fitting or just stuff the hose into the transmission cooler, place the other end in a bucket of antifreeze and start it up. I run 6 gallons through my system. I don't drain it but I know many people are more comfortable draining it once they are done. It's all up to you.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

There are many nooks and crannies in an engine. With 2 banks you can never be sure if the antifreeze is getting to both, or just running through one side and not the other. The safe thing to do is to drain everything. Then, catch 22, if you drain averything, what's the point of wasting time with antifreeze??

The first time is the hardest, but after one winterization, I can drain all the water from the engine/drive train in 10 minutes. Changing the fluids takes much longer!
    Last edited by CJD; 11-09-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    There are many nooks and crannies in an engine. With 2 banks you can never be sure if the antifreeze is getting to both, or just running through one side and not the other. The safe thing to do is to drain everything. Then, catch 22, if you drain averything, what's the point of wasting time with antifreeze??

The first time is the hardest, but after one winterization, I can drain all the water from the engine/drive train in 10 minutes. Changing the fluids takes much longer!
    Change your oil and impeller. Wise move that will save you grief in years to come.
    Fog your engine or at least your cylinders with fogging oil, another long term wise move.
    Drain the water from your engine etc.
    Then add antifreeze. Not a waste of time but rather smart insurance. Far less time and cost as compared to replacing a cracked block etc.
    Take the long road and relax knowing you covered the bases and did it right!