Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Noob Mistake.. Ran Engine Dry

I know, I know.. terrible mistake. I was pretty mortified..

After finishing up a day on the lake, we were putting the boat back on the trailer. I was having issues with my boat buddy latch being stuck, so after all the commotion in getting it freed up, I forgot the boat was still running. I trailered it to the parking lot to get off the ramp before I noticed and immediately turned it off. It probably idled about a minute out of the water.

I'm already going to replace the water pump impeller, but should I be concerned with anything else? I know the temperature gauge only really works while the water is running, but nonetheless it read 185 deg. There was no burn smell that I could tell.

You should be fine. Just change the water pump impeller and watch temps next time you have it in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 Supra Launch- perfect pass, tower, kicker kmt60 tower speakers, 4k lbs of ballast
    1992 Sanger FX-22- project

You should be just fine, just do what James said.

Bowz
    03 SSV 1180FWD, 750'S AFT, ACME1433, GETTO GATES FOR BOTH SIDES
    05 CUMMINS EXTRA AIR AND EVEN MORE FUEL (MAIN TOW RIG)
    08 FJ TRAIL TEAMS ED (10 MIN OR LESS TO THE RIVER TOW RIG)
    01 JETTA TDI

What the others said.

In the 29 years I've had my comp the same things happen to me at least three times. Usually one of your good friends is trying to help meaning well but putting your routine of kilter. Most likely win you change your impeller you'll find it wasn't damaged. There usually is enough water left in the system after running the boat throughout the day to keep everything lubricated and somewhat cool. Still not a good thing. I'd go ahead and change the impeller the keep old one in your onboard toolbox for spare.

What they ^ said.

For peace of mind you can give your exhaust hoses a good squeeze. They'd get the hottest on the top side a few inches past the upper clamps. Should be consistently firm all around with no soft spots.

If you have a fake a lake or can connect a hose up to it at home it will certainly save you the frustration getting to the ramp next time and finding an issue. It took at least 15 minutes to destroy my engine when I forgot to open the tap (that I put in only months before) and ran it dry. I was a fair way away from the ramp when I finally realised something wasn't right. That's the only problem with big stereos. Concentration is disturbed. Good luck and I hope no issues for you.

If you had just brought it in then running at 185 is fine. It's when it sits up way over 200 there may be an issue.

Let us know how you go. My fingers and probably everyone else's are crossed that it's all good. Cheers.

Thanks for the responses! I just changed out the impeller today. Hagman was right; it looked practically brand new. The exhaust hoses also felt good all around. I'll let you guys know how it goes on the lake

Impeller.jpg

That impeller is still good! I'd make sure to keep it around as a spare.....
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Something to tune into. A clue to lack of cooling water to the cooling system is that your exhaust noise will be slightly louder and have a slightly higher pitch. I have noticed that the hard way.