Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 88 Ts6m engine replacement

I have a 88 Ts6m and would like to replace with a newer lighter engine. Preferably EFI with aluminum block /heads/ exhaust or convert to Electric. Any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by RickV View Post
    I have a 88 Ts6m and would like to replace with a newer lighter engine. Preferably EFI with aluminum block /heads/ exhaust or convert to Electric. Any suggestions.
    I am surprised no one has chimed in to offer you their advice yet.
    That said I Would start by contacting SkiDim and discuss your thoughts with them.
    They have no doubt dealt with this issue numerous times , sell the new models of PCM engines and transmissions, and could point you in the right direction.

Convert to electric?????? What are you going to use the boat for? Fishing? Run time would be the issue let alone power to weight issues. Plus with all that battery weight the boat would be a like a lead sinker, actually it would be , straight to the bottom, and the environmental issues, a whole other can o worms. Jmo

why reinvent the wheel , drop a 400 hp 400ci sbc or raptor engine in it. They are fuel efficient and all the power you need
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Default Electric conversion

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    Convert to electric?????? What are you going to use the boat for? Fishing? Run time would be the issue let alone power to weight issues. Plus with all that battery weight the boat would be a like a lead sinker, actually it would be , straight to the bottom, and the environmental issues, a whole other can o worms. Jmo

why reinvent the wheel , drop a 400 hp 400ci sbc or raptor engine in it. They are fuel efficient and all the power you need
    We run sets in the morning early and electric would be nice and quiet, run time might be an issue, possible cost, it was just a possible option. It has been done check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbTAb

I'll give them a call. Thanks

I looked into the electric option quickly a while back, as I rarely run more than 2 sets a day on my boat. In this case there are some pretty good advantages; quiet, charges while it's sitting at the dock, no more transporting gas, and the weight would be about the same as long as you didn't want longer runtimes. Nautique made a prototype a year or two ago, and it seemed to work pretty well. What I found when I did my reading was that to do it right, it would cost a fortune. The Nautique had 2 motors and those things don't come cheap. There was a short thread on an electric car conversion forum on this same issue, it would take me a while to find it, but the bottom line was you would need a lot of batteries to get more than a couple of sets per charge, so in that case weight would definitely be an issue. Personally I think an all aluminum custom built motor with good mufflers and and FEA exhaust would work out much better except for the refueling issues. I don't really see EFI as all that necessary I like the simplicity of a good carbed motor myself, but that's another debate.

Thanks that helps a lot, I really would like to try the electric motor for all the points you made and one more no more winterizing. I think it's out of my reach realistically. Going to start looking at aluminum engines.

There are a few questions you should ask yourself before making any modifications to a supra comp these are great ski boats right straight from the factory. First on my list would be how much money am I willing to spend the second should be how much time I'm willing to spend. I'm speaking from experience aluminum GT 40 heads and manifolds look cool will wake the motor up just a little bit but in the end you will not notice much of an improvement over a well tuned stock 351. I'm speaking from experience of all of the modifications I've done to my boat over the years I would say having the motor balanced was my best dollars spent. I think if you want to make the boat lighter you're better off leaving someone on the dock, ski with less fuel In the tank, or maybe carrying a smaller cooler.That being said I hope you go forward with your plans and modifications. And please post your progress.

I found the thread I was referencing above. http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...oni-47386.html

Basically fuggetaboutit .

I don't know the details about how Nautique got it done, but it is proof that something doesn't add up in the thread above and it is doable.

There's a thread going on on Ballofspray right now about the feasibility of doing a total redo on an early 90s hull to bring it as close to a modern boat including full re power and ZO.

Personally, every time I think about doing something similar with my boat, I come back to the fact that the basic hull just doesn't compare with a modern Mastercraft or Nautique. I like the GT40p heads idea and FAE but after that, I think it's a lot of time and money for very little gain.

I know a guy who builds racing motors for Cascar (IIRC) and he charges I think 17000 for a motor. He really knows what he's doing and if I ever wanted to go all crazy on a re power he's the guy I'd be calling. Personally, though there's a lot to consider when you start down that road, and when all is said and done, a really nice boat can be had for less than 30000, unless your goal is to have something that no one else has, and you can't really put a price on that.

I've always wanted to build a modern ski hull in the style of one of the '60s era wood runabouts, in which case every little extravagance is warranted.

Something like this for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxPhjcJeno

Sorry for going a bit off topic

There is a guy on ski it again selling a low hour gt40 engine if you wanted to go that route. I love mine in my 96 supra ts6m comp http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...e&postid=34998
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325