Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

GT -40 is a great engine. Give it some serious consideration.

Thanks for going off topic, Riva Aquarama Lamborghini, what a machine, veryyyyyyyyyy impressive. I have a rear main leaking and a cracked head. I fixed the head with JB-Weld and it is holding. It is cracked next to the plug and water was leaking out, I don't know how long it will last. The Gt-40 that foxriverat mentioned looks pretty good. I am checking into it. My boat performs great,and the wakes are good, we run on 1/4 tank with 3 people most of the time. I don't really want right hand rotation and I think the GT-40 is and I would also need the transmission. Will see what he says.

I swapped in a GT-40 engine into my '89 about 5 years ago, it's been fantastic. It was an awesome difference right away, and it was an easy swap. The exhaust is a different size (skidim sells the reducers) and we had to add a fuel return line back to the tank. We also had to raise up the base of the engine cover (we just rebuilt the bottom half to add height).

As far as rotation, I think you may be ok. The 1.23:1 transmission in '89-up reverses the engine's rotation to make for a RH prop but LH (as viewed from the REAR) engine rotation. I'm guessing you have the 1:1 transmission? So, if you have a 1:1 and an LH prop, you'd be ok except of course you'll need a new prop anyway.

On the off-topic side of things, I'd like to get my hands on a Nautique Paragon. Rather than post a bunch of images, just look at the google image search results. That's pretty much perfect for me, like the late 60's Resorters with a fiberglass hull that looks nice, combined with classic wood decking and accents everywhere. For me, that's about perfect.

That's what I'm talking about! I didn't know Nautique had done this. For me though I would like to go another step and use the hull only, chop it a foot or so above the waterline and build out the boat in wood. (Barrel backed if the lines would work) Not sure if I'll ever do this, but if I can get a good doner boat I've got the shop to do it in so, who knows. As much as I love my Rider, it's not the right hull to do this with. I'm used to skiing behind both a Nautique 196 and a 200 and the wake from my Rider just doesn't stack up.

The wake of a 196 or a 200 is no comparison to that of a Rider.
    To be fair you need to compare those against a comp ts6m.

Oh be careful Chris with your drastic changes and modification ideas. A few years back a new member posted a project he had done to a otherwise dead comp. He completely transformed it into a woody. He caught flack from some for the Purest in our forum got mad and left the site. Haven't heard from him cents. I thought he done a great job. Turned out to be one cool looking boat. Maybe someone here can find picture of it and repost it. I watched the YouTube video about the Nautique electric boat. I was impressed except for the part about the boat could make it through four seats on the charge that's not really very far.

The Paragon is one beautiful boat, perfect for that sunset cruise around the lake. I remember when it came out but I have not seen one on the water yet. A nice combination of old and new it works for me. Thanks for the info on the GT-40 very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagman View Post
    Oh be careful Chris with your drastic changes and modification ideas. A few years back a new member posted a project he had done to a otherwise dead comp. He completely transformed it into a woody. He caught flack from some for the Purest in our forum got mad and left the site. Haven't heard from him cents. I thought he done a great job. Turned out to be one cool looking boat. Maybe someone here can find picture of it and repost it. I watched the YouTube video about the Nautique electric boat. I was impressed except for the part about the boat could make it through four seats on the charge that's not really very far.
    I know of one Supra Comp-turned-woody and it was for sale here in NH a few years back. I may have screengrabbed a few pictures, it was so amazing. At least I liked it. I wanted to see it in person, but he sold it before I had time. I'll post pics if I can dig them up.

A few years back a new member posted a project he had done to a otherwise dead comp. He completely transformed it into a woody. He caught flack from some for the Purest in our forum got mad and left the site. Haven't heard from him cents.
    That's too bad, I know some people are "it must be exactly original" in the restoration world (boats, cars whatever) and I can respect that when there are only a few left and it's an important piece of history. It would be a travesty for example to drop a brand new fuel injected motor in to an Auburn or some such iconic rarity, but I think you could do what ever you wanted with a Model for example. Our boats are Model A's. (well, more like mid '80s Camero LOL) IMHO

I'd love to see the photos of that Comp though.

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    That's too bad, I know some people are "it must be exactly original" in the restoration world (boats, cars whatever) and I can respect that when there are only a few left and it's an important piece of history. It would be a travesty for example to drop a brand new fuel injected motor in to an Auburn or some such iconic rarity, but I think you could do what ever you wanted with a Model for example. Our boats are Model A's. (well, more like mid '80s Camero LOL) IMHO

I'd love to see the photos of that Comp though.
    woody1.jpgwoody2.jpgwoody3.jpgwoody4.jpg

Well here are 4 pictures of the Supra Woody which caused so much commotion a number of years ago.

I seem to remember the guy not being made to feel very welcomed by a few people , sold the boat and disappeared, but I saved the pictures which I think were from the Craigslist ad he had a link to.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.
    Last edited by Keno; 12-07-2015 at 10:00 PM.