Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2006 22SSV Comments

HI all,
    I've found myself staring at what I feel to be a hell of a deal on a spotless, low hour 22SSV that is my ideal color combo. I was really shopping one snack bracket lower ($25k) when a friend at a local dealership called me telling me that they took this on trade for a new SA. He's offering it to me on the buddy deal - what they have in it. My question for you guys, any specific pro's and cons to the 22SSV? I was really looking at first gen 21v's, but maybe bigger is better?

From my research this morning it looks like '06 is the older hull, but newer tower, right? The few examples that I'm finding for sale are priced around $35k, and he's well below that.

Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

If that boat is in the condition the pictures appear and has less than 800 well maintained hours I would be ripping someone's arm off at $25k. I have an 04 and wouldn't sell it for that, if you decide to pass share the information with me.

That's a good looking boat. It looks super clean. And that price is fantastic.
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

I had a supra launch that looked almost identical to that.... It was an awesome boat and you will not regret it... It will hold value extremely well, and produce a fantastic wake for wake boarding and wake surfing. The interior looks to be in good shape and it looks loaded for a 2006. You won't regret it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 Supra Launch- perfect pass, tower, kicker kmt60 tower speakers, 4k lbs of ballast
    1992 Sanger FX-22- project

Thanks, that is the sort of feedback that I was hoping for. The previous owner is supposed to deliver it to the dealership this weekend, and I'll be chomping at the bit to go have a look. I know of the boat personally before this came up - they have a houseboat on Dale Hollow Lake named "Pinching Quarters, Nickles and Dimes". I THOUGHT I remembered the Blue Supra that sat with that houseboat having the gravity games graphics though. Is it possible that this is a GG 22SSV with the graphics removed? Are they even removable?

I'm having trouble finding details on engine options for this year and ballast config. Anyone ahve any info. I'm pretty well astonished at how little detail the dealer has after making such a trade offer! I guesss they're all "just another boat" to those guys - to guys like me, it's a dream come (or coming) true!

I hope it truly is in the condition shown!! Also, turns out it is an '05, not '06, but seems like there are barely any differences between the two. 300 hours.
    Korey Morris -

Ya again if you don't purchase share the info with me. As for the engine, chances are it's the 5.7 320hp indmar motor. I have the same boat but 2004 model.

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    Thanks, that is the sort of feedback that I was hoping for. The previous owner is supposed to deliver it to the dealership this weekend, and I'll be chomping at the bit to go have a look. I know of the boat personally before this came up - they have a houseboat on Dale Hollow Lake named "Pinching Quarters, Nickles and Dimes". I THOUGHT I remembered the Blue Supra that sat with that houseboat having the gravity games graphics though. Is it possible that this is a GG 22SSV with the graphics removed? Are they even removable?

I'm having trouble finding details on engine options for this year and ballast config. Anyone ahve any info. I'm pretty well astonished at how little detail the dealer has after making such a trade offer! I guesss they're all "just another boat" to those guys - to guys like me, it's a dream come (or coming) true!

I hope it truly is in the condition shown!! Also, turns out it is an '05, not '06, but seems like there are barely any differences between the two. 300 hours.
    That's an absolute steal. I got a 07 Launch 20SSV last year with 550 hrs at $28k. If I were you, I'd grab it and not look back. You might find there's a couple things here or there you have to fix, so plan another $1k for that.

The GG graphic is embedded into the gelcoat as far as I can tell. He may have upgraded the ballast system though. The previous owner upgraded the GG system in mine. You can do an owner's manual search on Google. They pull up surprisingly easy.

In terms of any cons, the ballast system is well known to be slow in filling, but I got over it.

That is an awesome steal/deal.
    I bought an 03 model and put over 1000 hours on over the next ten years.

If its the GG model it will have the 340 motor

I would say that a con would be that the rear seats don't wrap all the way around to the starboard side. just a step. But that seems to be a thing with boats of that vintage. It also has the older style drivers seat--not my favorite but again, not a deal breaker.

The boat does have the playpen bow, which I'm a HUGE fan of. I adore having the flip up backrests in that center section and also having that HUGE basement storage locker under the playpen. my XLV has that same setup and it fits an 1180 gravity games bag up there. I can also fit 2 surfboards and one wakeboard in the basement storage locker when the ballast is empty.

The Rad a cage tower is pretty solid, and you should be happy with it. As far as the tower speakers, you could easily do what I did--buy a set of the Kicker HLCD speakers and put them in your cans and have an inexpensive HLCD system for wakeboarding tunes!

The color combo is fantastic. I'm a blue lover myself and that's one of the big reasons I pulled the trigger on my XLV when given the opportunity.

I have a similar factory snap cover on my boat and really like it. it's great for camping trips and short trips to the launch when you want to keep the condensation off the inside of the boat. Plus, keeps things out of sight from prying eyes.

It does have a basic bimini, which is fine. I'm a big fan of the Monster Cargo Bimini as I always have a couple of surf boards that need a home up there.

Also, make sure that the boat has the Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro. If it does, you're golden! it'll do everything you'd want.

Coming from your current boat, you'll feel like you are in Wake heaven! I had a 92 sunsport that was pretty well built up with tower, ballast, and most all the goodies. You'll feel the same way I did--great memories, but don't regret stepping up at all. I've heard that the wakes can be touchy from side to side, and maybe the surf wave isn't as easy to dial in as some other brands... But it's a v-drive and compared to your direct drive, it's going to be a ton easier. Hidden ballast is so fantastic and you'll have a blast upgrading a boat that you should be happy keeping for a long time!

I say throw down!!!

Also, while the boat has lower hours, I would hope that pricewise it comes in no more than $30k. That's what I paid for my 2008 XLV that had 675 hours on it or so. I got a great deal on mine from a forum member. so given that this one is a few years older and not privy to some of the updates they put on the newer boats, I'd hope you wouldn't end up paying more. BUT, it's from a dealer and they won't have trouble selling that boat to someone else--so try to get the best price you can and don't sweat it. Because in the end, a grand or two isn't something to lose sleep over on a boat like this. Actually having your dream boat makes it all worth it in the end.

But PLEASE take that stupid "pinchin pennies" lettering off the back when you get it! LOL
    Last edited by trayson; 02-11-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Thanks trayson for the thorough reply, this is just what I wanted!

I didn't know about the rear seat, that's a bit of a bummer, but like you said, not even close to a deal breaker! I do love the playpen bow and built in cooler of the saltare, so I'm glad to see both of those features here. I also agree on the bimini, but I't probably not on the list any time soon. As far as tower speakers go, I'm an odd opponent of the anyway - with great power comes great responsibility. I cringe when I hear someone else's bad music broadcast across my lake - and who is to say my taste is any better! Just a pet peeve of mine...

I have been reading the same thing about the touchiness of the wake and dialing in the surf wake, but I've got my saltare surfing a good 15' back and booting me into the flats on a wakeboard - I think I can handle this!

I've been traveling for work, and the dealer has been to 3 boat shows in 3 weeks with full Supra/Moomba setups, so neither of has made a move. They are family friends, so he's sitting on it for me for now. They're at the boat show in my town this weekend (Lexington, KY), so we've got a rendezvu for saturday after the cats play to talk turkey. This deal popped up quicker than I had expected, and I decided to liquidate another toy to make it happen. I already regret it, but my track toy left last night:

Hopefully back into a fun second car once the boat is here and settled in!
    Korey Morris -