Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prop Removal Help!

Hello all! I'm trying to replace my prop on me 03 SSV Launch. I loosened the bolt used the puller and it doesn't pop off like the ones on the YouTube video. I followed the instructions on tap the back of the puller then tighten several times until loose. However it is very tight and still has not loosened. It has moved about a 1/4" or so. The locking pin seems to have moved with the prop and I am unsure if that is the reason why it's not coming off. I am worried that If I continue to force it off unknown if the pin is the problem, I may make it worse. I've tried to push the prop back in also with no luck. I'm at a stand still until I can get some help on what to do next. What is supposed to be a 10 min job now seems to be a disaster. It's not dirty or corroded. Unknown when it was replaced or if it's been replaced in the past. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Corizòn

I'd keep using the puller. It will come off. Having removed countless inboard props, many come off easily but some will give you a hard time.

One thing I would do is to put the nut back on the threads, just enough to allow the puller to grab the end of the shaft, and not so much that it's touching the prop - there should be enough clearance. The reason is, if the prop DOES pop off, it won't hit YOU when it does.

Thanks! Just needed the input from someone that's done it before. I just took it off to take a picture. I'll put it back on to pull. Thanks so much. Just changed the impeller now to the propeller.

Corizòn

Done! Thanks. When it goes it goes. Scared the sh!t out of me. Got the new prop on. Fluids is all I need left. You were great help. Thanks so much. Can't wait to hit the lake.

Corizòn

next time, take a small drift punch and drive the key back up the shaft as it looked stuck in the groove of the prop. This crates a tight point at the end of the shaft.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Wylietunes View Post
    next time, take a small drift punch and drive the key back up the shaft as it looked stuck in the groove of the prop. This crates a tight point at the end of the shaft.
    Thanks!

Corizòn

Another trick for next time...

If you load the puller to the point you're getting worried, stop tightening(but leave it tightened) and then add just a little heat to the prop with a propane torch. Not more heat than is still comfortable to the touch. It will pop right off. Do not heat the shaft, just the prop to set up a temperature gradient.

Another trick I use if you dont have access to a flame is boiling water on the prop. Sometimes its that little bit of expansion that helps break the taper grip.

Did you lap the new prop? I can hear the eyes rolling, but if you don't want a lost prop or broken shaft, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    Did you lap the new prop? I can hear the eyes rolling, but if you don't want a lost prop or broken shaft, I highly recommend it.
    Explain please. Thanks.

Corizòn