Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by corizon View Post
    Explain please. Thanks.

Corizòn

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/fitting_a_prop

The details in that link are a bit excessive, but you get the idea. You want the surface of the shaft and the surface of the prop to have as much surface area contact as possible. In a pinch, I'll spin the prop on the shaft a bunch before putting in the key and nut for a final installation. Clearly not as good, but it might help.

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been away.

Very informative and this fellow obviously knows what he's doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozh4JjoWm4

Short version of the story, the keyway is only supposed to be a safety like a cotter pin, it is not intended to drive the prop. If you don't lap fit the prop there's a chance that it'll come loose and start banging on the key, and when that happens it can lead to a broken shaft. Nearly all the broken shafts you see are right at the keyway. The other thing that can happen is that if the key is too proud of the shaft, it can stop the prop from ever being properly seated on the taper whether it's been lapped or not and now the keyway is driving the prop. It does take some time to do this properly, but it's worth it. I learned the hard way, at some point my prop had come loose, the key fell out and it felt like the transmission was slipping. Eventually as my wife was passing the dock to drop me off at the end of my set, she pulled the throttle back and that was the last time that boat and prop were together. Happy ending, I now have an Acme 541 which I am very happy with. And when I put that on I went the extra mile and heated the prop in the oven before I put it on, I hope I never have to take it off LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply, I've been away.

Very informative and this fellow obviously knows what he's doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozh4JjoWm4

Short version of the story, the keyway is only supposed to be a safety like a cotter pin, it is not intended to drive the prop. If you don't lap fit the prop there's a chance that it'll come loose and start banging on the key, and when that happens it can lead to a broken shaft. Nearly all the broken shafts you see are right at the keyway. The other thing that can happen is that if the key is too proud of the shaft, it can stop the prop from ever being properly seated on the taper whether it's been lapped or not and now the keyway is driving the prop. It does take some time to do this properly, but it's worth it. I learned the hard way, at some point my prop had come loose, the key fell out and it felt like the transmission was slipping. Eventually as my wife was passing the dock to drop me off at the end of my set, she pulled the throttle back and that was the last time that boat and prop were together. Happy ending, I now have an Acme 541 which I am very happy with. And when I put that on I went the extra mile and heated the prop in the oven before I put it on, I hope I never have to take it off LOL.
    Thanks!! Hope I have no issues with mine. Just got the boat out of the garage and getting her ready for the nice weather. Everything's been changed now to check over everything and make some plans to get on the lake. At least to test everything out. Lol.

Corizòn