Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default weight of supra sunsport 86 with trailer

Anyone know the actual weight of a 86 supra sunsport with trailer and all for towing?

Has it had the water logged foam and wood removed in a cap off restoration?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

floor and stringers are only a 6 yrs old and foam was removed from a previous repair.

Probably just over 3,000 pounds on the boat empty and maybe 800 pounds on the trailer on the light end of things. Just a ball park to get you close. You asking for towing purposes?

I have access to the scales at a rock quarry so I rolled my 86 Saltare and 2014 F150 Crew cab 4x4 across the scales coming home one day last summer. I was able to take the truck straight back after dumping the boat to get a number to subtract out.

Fully loaded for a weekend at the lake - minus ~25 gallons of fuel - the entire rig weighs 11,500lbs. and the truck alone was 5700lbs. That leaves the boat on the factory tandem trailer weighing in at a portly 5800lbs. Mine is all original and certainly a little heavy due to waterlogged foam and [hopefully not too much due to] stringers. FWIW, she sits pretty normal in the water and stringers seem respectable from exterior inspection so she's not THAT waterlogged... My saltare also has a big block, not sure about your sunsport. There is a lot of steel there...
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

For reference - waterlogged foam weighs a bunch. My '86 Sunsport lost ~400 lbs. after stringer and floor replacement. 351W.

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    I have access to the scales at a rock quarry so I rolled my 86 Saltare and 2014 F150 Crew cab 4x4 across the scales coming home one day last summer. I was able to take the truck straight back after dumping the boat to get a number to subtract out.

Fully loaded for a weekend at the lake - minus ~25 gallons of fuel - the entire rig weighs 11,500lbs. and the truck alone was 5700lbs. That leaves the boat on the factory tandem trailer weighing in at a portly 5800lbs. Mine is all original and certainly a little heavy due to waterlogged foam and [hopefully not too much due to] stringers. FWIW, she sits pretty normal in the water and stringers seem respectable from exterior inspection so she's not THAT waterlogged... My saltare also has a big block, not sure about your sunsport. There is a lot of steel there...
    I've always guesstimated that my boat + trailer is in the 6000 - 6500 range. Nobody ever believes me until they hook their truck up to it. My trailer seems like they must have stashed lead in it somewhere. Glad to hear that you've somewhat confirmed that.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by ckracing View Post
    For reference - waterlogged foam weighs a bunch. My '86 Sunsport lost ~400 lbs. after stringer and floor replacement. 351W.
    My Comp lost more than that last winter. If I am not mistaken, I think I lost closer to 800 pounds of saturated foam, mulch and other water logged materials. Who knew that Supra was ahead of their time when they built these boats with "factory ballast" before it was cool?

Same here! The Truck that I owned when I bought the saltare was a beater 91 F250 4x4 M/T with a 351 and I was unpleasantly surprised when it struggled with my new acquisition! Even this is pretty close to the factory rating of my newish F150 (7700#)!

My Nautique 2001 lost 650lb when i did stringers and floor, but it had an extra plywood floor in it... Really effed up the wakeboarding wake!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    Same here! The Truck that I owned when I bought the saltare was a beater 91 F250 4x4 M/T with a 351 and I was unpleasantly surprised when it struggled with my new acquisition! Even this is pretty close to the factory rating of my newish F150 (7700#)!
    My first tow vehicle was a 92 F250 two-wheeler. I let it dig itself into the ground at a gravel launch so bad one time that the bed was completely under water. After that I had to sell it and buy a 4x4. My 77 F250 w/ a 460 has never had a problem.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.