Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suggested tire load rating??

Hey guys. Upon becoming a new supra owner, the site is becoming a wealth of information now that I have such a great boat. I am wondering of proper trailer tire load ratings. Previous owner had a couple blow outs, and upon bringing my new purchase home, I also experienced a tire failure. The tires were at proper inflation before leaving, but now the concern is turned to load ratings. I have an '07 21v on a tandem axle boatmate. It has 3 different brands of tires and load ratings. So, just wanted to reach out and see if any has had a good understanding of what rating is best for toting around these expensive toys. Tire size is 205/75/14
    Last edited by Plum Nauti; 04-14-2016 at 03:55 PM.

At least a C but D or E would be better.
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

I agree with leetudor the higher rated tires will not cause a problem but too low will. Make sure you buy a trailer specific tire not a car tire.

I had tire failures the first year I had my boat within months, then in August of the first year of boat ownership I had these installed on the trailer and I have been problem free ever since. I've lost track of how many miles I have towed the boat with these tires I just know it is well north of 6,000 miles now between 6 round trips to northern Michigan from Chicago at 330-350 miles one way, plus a trip down to the TN Supra reunion at 1,700 miles round trip plus all the towing I have done around town to the launch and back and storage. I've been super happy with these tires and keep them properly inflated and check them before any big trip. Been running on these tires since August of 2010. Picking up the trailer tomorrow but I am fairly certain I am running a D load tire.

http://www.towmaxtires.com/
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

The local NTB stocks the towmax. I will have to give them a try. Seems all the tires I have are C rating, just different mfgs. Might need to look at changing to a 15" rim to get a higher rating. I don't like having tire problems. They can spoil a lake day real fast. Thanks for the input.

Verify you don't have brakes dragging and bearings are good as well. That will create heat which isn't good on tires either.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Yep. Seems to be the culprit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rodney

2007 21V - Trailer bunks-*Done

Yep caliper piston is locked up you can get the parts on line try Etrailer.

Should be using a light truck tyre.

No he should be using an ST tire. Get the highest load range you can. D or E for sure. I believe kuhmo makes a good D load option. One thing about any tire, regardless of brand, is they only have a life of about 5 years. After that, you're on borrowed time. The time to replace a trailer tire is not when the tread is worn out, but rather 5 years at most from the DOT stamps on the tire. Look for the DOT stamps, see when the manufacturer year was, and if it's been more than 5 ears from that date, get new tires. Anything made in China will be junk.
    Last edited by Zim; 04-24-2016 at 08:09 AM.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V