Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default skateboard ghetto gate question

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and have a ghetto gate question. I just got the $20 skateboard ramp on Amazon and industrial strength Velcro. The underside of the skateboard ramp doesn't have a lot of surface area for the Velcro to adhere to. Is it enough to stick to the boat or do I need to reinforce the bottom surface area?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Default Second idea after doing some research

After doing some research, it looks like I can do one of several things. I can get some flat plastic and cut it to fit on the bottom. Then fill it with something like Great Stuff so it will float if it comes off the boat.

The other idea is to bolt TWO ramps together but that seems a little over kill to me. My guess is, if that big of size were more effective, Wakesetter would have made it that big.

Steve,

I have used the ramp on multiple occasions and I have never had it come loose from the boat using just the small surface area on the underside of the ramp for the velcro. I was concerned about the small surface area as well when I first installed the ramp on my boat. I tied a tether to the ramp the first few trips out on the lake just to make sure that I wouldn't loose the ramp if it came loose from the velcro. However, once you come up to surf speed the pressure of the water pushes the ramp into the boat and it is not going anywhere. Also just FYI.... the ramp will float as-is with no foam fill required. Since I had it tethered the first thing I did was chunk the ramp in the lake to see if it would float. I don't even bother with the tether any longer.

I have also thought about trying to shim the ramp to see if an increased angle will have a positive effect of my surf wake. I hope to play with this a little once the weather warms up and I can get my boat back on the water.

I just ordered my skateboard ramp a few days ago. Was relieved to see this idea. Just purchased a 2006 21v in November and was a little worried about surfing from other posts on this site until I seen cbm4ua's post on the skateboard ramp!! Great idea and look forward to trying it out. I would think shimming it out would be easy as well. With either wood or plastic. The shim could be wider then the actual ramp edges. Screw the wider shim onto the ramp using stainless steal screws. That would give you your wider surface area for the velcro. Lakes are just starting to thaw up here. Cant wait!!! I have had to do several repairs to my boat (swim platform had been ripped off at one point, water under the front ski locker....) and this forum has addressed all of them. thanks!!!

Does anyone know that angle of the Ronix Wakeshaper?
    It would be nice to try and shim it to that angle as I'm sure they have done the research on what the best angle is.

Post some before and after pics.

I have one. I can check tomorrow for you if you still need the info?

so, I'm having trouble finding a sheet of plastic to cover the open side of the ramp. what are you guys using to place on the open side of the ramp in order for velcro to adhere to it?

I ordered one but it was so brittle that when I screwed holes in it to bolt it together, it cracked. Now I'm just frustrated! Argh.

Saw the wood idea. Maybe a thin sheet of plywood as a backing for the ramp? Just trying not to make it terribly heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by supra790 View Post
    I have one. I can check tomorrow for you if you still need the info?
    I would love to know the angle to compare to the ramps!