Thread: $12 fake lake

Default $12 fake lake

20160321_212308.jpg20160321_212009.jpgI woke up with this idea at 3 o'clock in the morning. I've used it a couple times it works great. Just Unscrew the Red plug. Hook up the hose and turn the water on . No more getting wet on your hands and knees.

Good idea ! No water escape from the Filter with that system ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Excess water back flushes the filter and escapes via the water intake.

Great idea!
    Mine is similar to that but i use the intake side of filter and screw in a fitting that is attached to a hose that i can hook up to either another hose coming from the house or i can drop it into a bucket to test the suction or put antifreese into the system.
    Function before fashion!

Me 98 comp has a fitting with a check valve. If I hook up the hose, the check valve closes and stops the flow out the intake

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought about putting a valve in to stop the backflow but I decided most household water pipes have around 60 pounds or more pressure. My concern was that that kind of water pressure would be bad for the raw water pump.

I had a similar TEE on my sunsport, but mine was with a Ball Valve instead of a simple Tee.

Best pic I could find:

there is a handle on the other side of the brass Tee that will take a ball valve and direct the water from the garden hose attachment (bottom of pic) to the engine, or it will direct river water from the intake on the bottom of the boat to the engine.

I would be concerned with your model that the water wouldn't all be flowing through the engine and would go both to the engine and to the intake (onto the ground). As it is, it's difficult for a garden hose to give the volume of water that the water pump/engine will take. so anything that would give the water another path that doesn't lead to the engine would make me worried. *maybe* it'd all get sucked up by the water pump? I dunno. But why give it another path when you can use a ball valve TEE intead of a plain tee?

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

I kind of had the same concern. That's why opted to put the T between the water filter in the oil cooler. The first time I used it I really paid close attention to just how much water was getting sucked up by the raw water pump and came out of the exhaust. It turns out the pump seems to take what it needs and the left over gets flushed out of the water intake. As the RPMs are increased water flow exiting the water intake decreases by 3000 RPM 100% of the water is going into the system.. I was concerned about the system handling 60+ pounds of pressure a normal car cooling system only uses somewhere around 12 pounds. I believe in a boat the only pressure involved is how much is needed to force water into the exhaust system. Oh I see you had a big block.
    Last edited by Hagman; 03-22-2016 at 08:25 PM.