Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Boat

Default New Boat

IMG_3478.jpgIMG_3491.jpgboat.jpg

I just pick up this 92 sunsport, pretty stoked on it. Never have owned a direct drive before, was wondering what you guys could tell me about this engine. I want to change all filters and oil before summer was wondering where I could find what size filter and do most of you guys run synthetic? Any help would be great thanks!

Motorcraft FL1A filter. Oil I used to use Valvoline 10w40 or sometimes other brands 10w40 but have been using Rotella T6 5w40 lately as it's same as I use in the trucks. I change once per year, 75-125 hours per year. These engines are not picky about oil, just use appropriate weight for temps and so oil pressure reads normal. Change the raw water pump impeller. Should be changed every 1-3 years depending on use and how OCD you are. Not sure PN for the pump on a small block. Check pull hose off intake side of trans cooler and check for weeds/obstructions to water flow. Nice looking boat, and composite stringers too!

75-125 hours is a long time between oil changes PCM recommends 50 hours . I use Mobil 1 15w50 in all my boats it is the only weight that has all the additives for both older flat tappet and newer roller lifter engines. Any high quality oil filter will be fine. I just switched to Purolator One they are highly rated and easy to find. Remember NO Fram orange. Where are you located?
    Last edited by michael hunter; 04-02-2016 at 07:42 AM.

I am located in Michigan, I drove down to Indiana for the boat, its been sitting for a couple years in a heated garage but the guy who owned it took it to the dealership and got it all checked out before I came down to buy it. Have the paperwork from the dealership, only thing wrong is the blower switch is broke, which I cant seem to find a new one anywhere. I also am trying to figure out what engine I have(I hate even asking that question!) Thanks for the help

Skidim.com will have all the stuff you need. I had to replace some dash switches on mine and skidim had them. Looks like a great find, that's a composite boat so no wood stringers to worry about.

I use Valvoline VR1 racing oil which is good for flat tappet motors, and a Purolator PureOne filter. I change every 50 hours, change the tranny fluid once a season, change the impeller once a season, and plugs once a season.

Nice boat, welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

After looking in my book I am not sure what size spark plugs to use? it seems to give part numbers for 14mm and 18mm. I also have looked all over skidim for my switch but cant seem to find it, but did find a lot of other stuff on there. I am pretty sure it has the 351 pro boss in it from looking at some other threads.

Look at the spark plug if its a 5/8 hex size it will be the 14mm if its a 13/16 hex it will be the 18mm.

+1 on the valvoline VR1 oil. That's the best type of oil for our flat tappet engines. Great timing on buying the boat, summer is right around the corner! I picked up my 93 Sunsport last fall. Great boat! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pick it up for?

For the switches at skidim look under electrical and the under breakers. Still not sure call them. They are very nice and knowledgeable people. If it s a problem, They probably have dealt with it.

looks like I will have to call them to see if they have the switches. And straightcountry I picked up for $5250 seemed like a good price. I have been looking for over a year for the right boat so jumped on this one when I saw it.