Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lake Lanier, GA?

I'm looking at a renting a lake house for a family get together/boating vacation at Lake Lanier, GA. Does anybody ride there, been there, or have any reccomendations?

Thanks!

Finally a subject where I can answer questions lol. I live in Ga and am well versed on Lake Lanier, Chatuge, Blue Ridge, & Nottley. Is there a reason specifically you wanted to stay at Lanier? It's an amazing lake but if it's for a leisure, riding trip you will be much happier at any of the other lakes I listed. Lanier is by far the most populated and has the heaviest traffic. It's the only lake where you will find as many yachts as you do sport boats. It's also the only lake where you will find tsunami size chop in the main channels thinks to all the large traffic and power boats.

On the other side if you were only planning on tubing and wanted to see some of the most impressive houses and boats that ga has to offer you are on the right lake. If you are at all interested in the other lakes I can provide a ton of info on those as well.
    Last edited by onebadgt; 04-05-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Unfortunately I'll be the only wakeboarder in the group and introducing a lot of the in law side to the sport/surfing so they were more interested in Lanier because of all the extra features it has on/nearby. I doubt I can change lakes at this point, but that's good to know for future trips.

In map view it looks like they are lots of coves that peel off some of the main channels are most of those safe to ride & surf in or should I plan on morning sets and tubing the rest of the day?

Is it worth putting up with the yachts and potential tsunami's to go down and see the "islands"? It look like we would be up near bolding mill campground.

Don't be discouraged, Lanier is huge so you can definitely find good riding areas even though it is a high traffic lake. If you head up towards the river it will get you away from 90% of the traffic and you can enjoy better conditions. The upside of the lake being so big is there is plenty of room for everyone, the downside is the amount of time it takes to get around.

Coming from a water snob who only likes glassy water I get spoiled on Blue ridge and Chatuge. Both of those lakes are about 1.5 hour from Lanier and on a weekday you can be on the lake and maybe run into 2 or 3 boats in an entire day. Lake Lanier is a really amazing lake though if your hosting company because it's the only lake that will have multiple restaurants, bars, shops etc that are all boat in accessible. When your in the area shoot me a message and I'll let you know if I will be out while you are.

image.jpgHere is an example of why I love Lake Blue Ridge. 6pm
    Last edited by onebadgt; 04-06-2016 at 09:10 PM.

It's great to see some of the info on lakes in the area. I was considering retiring on Lake Lanier but I'll have to check out some of the other lakes. Thanks for the helpful information. BTW, I'm 50 and plan to retire in 5 years. I still enjoy wakeboarding and wake surfing. I have to retire on a lake that I can use for more of the year than my current home in Northern Indiana!

If you want tons of information on Lanier and blue ridge join lake Lanier boaters group and lake blue ridge boaters group. Those two groups will quickly show you the differences and great things that each has to offer.

I have lived on the south side of Lanier for the last 6 years about 10 mins from Lake Lanier Island. I tell people I live on the busiest side of the busiest lake in GA. The week ends in the summer can get busy with lots of Titanic's wasting fuel but mornings are good and week days are great . The further north you go the less boat traffic the bridges are like a strainer the first one stops a lot of the sailboats the next stops the Titanic's then the cruisers and so on. There is 700 miles of shoreline there is always good water if you look for it . Try to plan your trip around one of the full moon party's at Lake Lanier Island . A huge gathering in Sunset cove and fireworks at 10:00.

jkaser1965
    We moved here 6 years ago from Lowell Indiana . We love it here I average 250 hours a year with the 8 month boating season . Give me a call and I will fill you in .
    Mike Hunter 678-227-8833

Nice! And thanks for the info guys. It looks like I would be launching at Bolding Mill Campground so from the sounds of it I'd be good to go most of the time. Thanks again

That's way up on the north side you should have less traffic on weekends and no traffic on weekdays. Let me know when you get there maybe we can meet.