Thread: Taking on water

Default Taking on water

I just bought a 2000 21' supra legacy. It seems to be taking on a lot of water while it is in the water. The bilge runs all the time, & after a full day I run the bilge manually before putting it on the hoist & it takes 7-8 minutes to empty. I pulled the boat & loosened the fins & put 3M P5200 & retightened the fins. Still I have this water coming considerably more than what the manual says?????

The carpet stays wet all the time in the back & now is getting moldy

Also I have a heck of a time filling the fuel tank. It does not take fuel easlily????

My gas gauges are not accurate. I fill it up & 1/4 hour later it reigisters 1/2 tank?????

First, double check that the plug is in...usually located in the center of the hull under the swim platform. Next, I'd check that the hoses are all connected, not cracked or broken, particularly the water pick-up. Also, check that all underwater hardware (fins, rudder, etc.) are all tight. Finally, there is the shaft bearing seal (where the shaft enters the hull on the inside). This is designed to leak a few drops per minute to keep the shaft lubricated.

You are taking on way too much water. If you can't identify/fix the problem, take it to the nearest inboard boat dealer to have it checked.

HTH