Default Battery exploded, anyone else have this happen?

Hey guys, just curious if there was any chance that anyone else may have experienced an exploding battery while charging? Apparently my house battery (24dc) in my 2011 21V had seen enough and decided to blow its top while on my promariner pro sport this winter. Fortunately it was in its battery box and didn't spill battery acid everywhere. Looks like I'll take this opportunity to move my batteries to the port side underneath the seat.
    2011 Supra 21V
    Wetsounds Icon8's
    2012 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4

Bummer!

I can think of 2 reasons...one is a shorted cell that generates a lot of heat. The second would be if the battery froze, but that would mean your charger wasn't working.

Was the case actually cracked?

The term explode is specific. Are you meaning the caps are popped off?
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Battery's emit hydrogen when they are being charged they should always be in a well vented area when charging.
    This usually happens when the charger clamps are disconnected . Remember always put the ground side on last and remove it first to avoid any sparks.

overcharging can cause the caps to pop off. I've seen it multiple times on automobiles who's alternator's are producing too much voltage. Check your battery charger?
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Working at a marina where we charged 100's of batteries, we always removed caps first. Because that can happen, however rarely. Like if it's 1 in 500? That's 1-2 every year at the rate we charged batteries.

Yes, the battery split right down the middle and ejected the caps across the boat. I tried to get a photo, but my phone was dying and I was already headed to autozone.

The batteries had been on the trickle charge state for most of the winter, so hopefully the onboard charger isn't fried.

Had anyone seen this happen with the agm type battery?
    Last edited by blackout_58; 04-13-2016 at 11:15 PM.
    2011 Supra 21V
    Wetsounds Icon8's
    2012 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4