Default Tapping ballast holes

I know most people tap the ballast holes through the bottom of the boat, but is there any negative to going through the back of the boat next to the drain plugs?
    Only thing I could think of for a negative is you couldn't fill at going full speed, but I'm not concerned since we typically fill up during idle out or standing. \Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm basically not a fan of the street elbows from tapping from the bottom.

You can put them anywhere -- how many are you planning on? It's easiest to just use a scupper -- you can feed many pumps with one of these.

Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I was planning on a max of 3 pumps (for supply). Since I'll likely stay with an aerator pump setup, I'll of course need more to drain the sacks.
    I like the idea of the scupper, however... I do have a two questions.

-Do they fill your bags when driving without the pumps on? (I use the rule 1100 aerator)
    -Do they fill ok when you're not moving?

Thanks in advance.

Scuppers aren't good for aerators unless you're going to keep a (slow) sprinkler valve setup.

Personally with aerators, I like to have access to my fill pumps in case you have a priming issue and have to crack it open to get the pump primed.

Yes, the scupper would definitely fill while driving unless you have a sprinkler valve that stops the flow or if you have a vented loop. That's what I use for my bow sack since I got rid of the stupid sprinkler valves.

The best/cheapest vented loop is on ebay for about $5.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PLASTIC-OU...ZUVPtV&vxp=mtr
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

If you put them on the back hull, I bet you'll have priming issues.

I have mine under the boat without scuppers. I can fill underway with no issues. I always filled at idle, but now being able to fill at speed is worth it and I do it all the time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for the response.
    Right now I have 1 Aerator pump that I use to fill the bags without having to use a throw over. I just sits in the bilge area drain hole, then I pull up the hose from the bilge area, turn it on fill the bags. I just need a more automated process when the bags are no longer exposed... Hints the questions.