Thread: What prop???

Default What prop???

Hello,
    I am in need of some expertise here. I have owned boats my whole life, but I am new to the Supra's. I just recently purchased a 87 Supra Saltare with a 454 that has a slight build to it. I took it out today with a 1/2 tank of fuel, my father in law along with myself. And it seemed that engine could over rev in 2 seconds. I have read at WOT you should be a 4200-4500 RPM's. there is currently a 13x13 Acme 541 prop. I understand that these boats are necessarily made for speed. But I do not want to hurt the engine. We are going to be using it for multi use (skiing, wake boarding and wake surfing) but there are times that I will wanna go flat out. Any help would be great

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticseadoo View Post
    Hello,
    I am in need of some expertise here. I have owned boats my whole life, but I am new to the Supra's. I just recently purchased a 87 Supra Saltare with a 454 that has a slight build to it. I took it out today with a 1/2 tank of fuel, my father in law along with myself. And it seemed that engine could over rev in 2 seconds. I have read at WOT you should be a 4200-4500 RPM's. there is currently a 13x13 Acme 541 prop. I understand that these boats are necessarily made for speed. But I do not want to hurt the engine. We are going to be using it for multi use (skiing, wake boarding and wake surfing) but there are times that I will wanna go flat out. Any help would be great
    Talk to the various prop manufacturers such as Nettles. Another great avenue is Ski Dim.
    These contacts can discuss your boat , your concerns , your needs and give you best advice.

Any modern prop you put on an '87 boat will be light years ahead of what you have. As CW says, if you call Supra, Skidim, or the prop manufacturers (OJ and Acme), they will help you pick the right prop without having to guess.

You should read the sticky thread about prop specs.
    Function before fashion!