Default 2012 Supra with Assault 345... need advice for maintenance

Wanting to perform my own routine maintenance. Thanks in advance for any advice!

1. Oil changes seem easy enough with drain line. (Sure will beat sucking out from dipstick!). Previous owner used K&N oil filter, so planning to use the same. Manual calls for Pennzoil Marine 15w40. Wondering which synthetic others are running now in 2016?

2. Boat has ZF 45 transmission and appears to currently have Pennzoil Dexron-III Mercon fluid. Any new recommendation for different ATF... and is there a drain bolt? Also, the boat manual says to clean the transmission oil strainer screen yearly. Uh, anyone have info on how to do that?

3. Z-drive fluid change advice?

4. Impellar seems straight forward. (Minus pulling that sucker out!)

5. Does everyone just clean their K&N air filter yearly with the recommended products from K&N?

For #1, there are some posts/threads in this Service section. I would also check the Moomba site. Lots of opinions out there. I use the Rotella every 50 hours, 2x/year.

For #2, most use an extractor to get the fluid out. I think it holds a little over 2qts. The manual has 2 bolts on the underside of the unit to access the screen.

For#3, if you are just changing fluid, I read somewhere that someone used an extractor and put the old fluid in a 2L plastic bottle. Then made a mark on the bottle with a marker. Removed the old fluid. Then poured new fluid in the bottle up to the marker to refill. Thus, refill the same amount.

#4 I marked the top of the cover when I removed the cover. It helps when putting back on. Use small vise grips and yank back/forth. Use a silicone lube when setting back in - impeller and shaft. Mallet will help. Do not over tighten the brass screws. Easy Peasy.

#5 yes on the K&N

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lostcreeksooner View Post
    Wanting to perform my own routine maintenance. Thanks in advance for any advice!

1. Oil changes seem easy enough with drain line. (Sure will beat sucking out from dipstick!). Previous owner used K&N oil filter, so planning to use the same. Manual calls for Pennzoil Marine 15w40. Wondering which synthetic others are running now in 2016?
    2. Boat has ZF 45 transmission and appears to currently have Pennzoil Dexron-III Mercon fluid. Any new recommendation for different ATF... and is there a drain bolt? Also, the boat manual says to clean the transmission oil strainer screen yearly. Uh, anyone have info on how to do that?
    3. Z-drive fluid change advice?
    4. Impellar seems straight forward. (Minus pulling that sucker out!)
    5. Does everyone just clean their K&N air filter yearly with the recommended products from K&N?
    1. most use rotella 15w 40.....have yet to hear of a motor failing using non synthetic oil changed regularly, i.e. every 50 hrs or yearly
    2. clean the screen after the first year and forget about it for 10, change the fluid the first year then every 100-200 hrs .....jmo
    3. I think you mean vdrive ....change every 100-200 hrs jmo
    4. change impeller every 3 years...... more frequently if you do not have a strainer
    5. never cleaned it yet , but do inspect it, but I only put 50 hrs per year on.

The are guideline's only and i take no responsibility if you use these. I really believe that a lot of boats barely even see this service.

6. check your propshaft alignment at least every other year, and your motor mount bushings yearly
    7. change your oil every fall and run it after you change it to circulate it
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug