Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Made mine tonight.

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Not a suckgate, not a supra, but this is on my (newish) ski brendella. No holes drilled into the transom, one plate does both sides. Installs in a minute or so.

The picture is with my plate that is out 1" and down. 5". Going to try my next size up plate that sticks out 1.75 or so and .75 down.

Once I finalize the plate size, I'm going to build a bracket with a spring loaded plunger, and have it attach the same way to the boat. It's a solid mount that makes for no holes in the boat.

Writeup to follow...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPR View Post
    Not a suckgate, not a supra, but this is on my (newish) ski brendella. No holes drilled into the transom, one plate does both sides. Installs in a minute or so.

The picture is with my plate that is out 1" and down. 5". Going to try my next size up plate that sticks out 1.75 or so and .75 down.

Once I finalize the plate size, I'm going to build a bracket with a spring loaded plunger, and have it attach the same way to the boat. It's a solid mount that makes for no holes in the boat.

Writeup to follow...

Cool. looks like a removeable version of my NSS style surf system I did on my Sunsport back in 2014. Nice work.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...-after-the-NSS
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Thanks! Total cost was 5 bucks or so. The plastic was all free from work

Due to the fact my HOD plastic handle worked well but would not hold, I now have the metal handle replacement as well as a seastow handle. Both are far superior to the plastic as far as I can tell. I will use and experiment with both new handles.

My question is everyone seems to go with even weight when running suckgate. Has anybody played with weighting surf side more. Instead of going full on listed like we did pre suckgate maybe just a few hundred pounds different. I would think this would make wake with suckgate even better.

Anyway, I have a week of surfing ahead of me next week so I am looking forward to testing both new handles and different weight scenarios.

I got a chance to play with weight some this weekend with my platform mounted ghetto gate, but ended up right back where I started: 86 Slatare, wake plate jacked down far enough to bend it unevenly, 450lb in the rear locker (centered), 500lb on the floor behind the engine (centered), ~1000lb on the surf side beside the motor box. It's listed pretty hard, and generally a pain in the butt, but the surfing was good! I tried the 500lb in the bow and the rest of the weight centered as far back as possible, and didn't even try to surf it because it looked so weak. I wanted to try and stretch the wave out some with weight up front, but I guess I just need more!

Don't judge my mess of a boat...

I placed an order for the Mission Boat Gear production "suck gate" that was the origonal topic of this thread as part of the second production wave. They sent an email last night that my group is shipping this week! It's a lot of money for something that many are doing pretty well with a home made <$100 solution - but in the end, I'm getting more and more tired of messing with it, and more interested in just using it. Hopefully it comes before the weekend and I get to find out if it is money well spent, or not.
    http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u...2&e=4d9e2d4541
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

When I had my comp the surf wave was always the best with the plate UP as high as it could go, not down. If I put it down the wave was terrible.

Although it drove like crap...

So I had it even with the hull of the boat, maybe up a half turn. Cruising speed in semi rough water was about 30 to 35mph before it porpoised.

Yeah, I'd like to get the time to pull the tab up and re arrange weight and see what else I could do. I'd bet that I could pull the tab up, move some weight forward and extend thew wave some, but probably sacrifice some handling when the boat is not weighted, but maybe gain some top speed. The boat handles pretty awesome with the wake plate down and the bow crammed down into the water, but runs out of speed at about 45-4600 RPM at 39MPH (with no weight) with all of that hull in the water (13x12.5 Acme 209). Not sure I'd like to turn the 1200 hour big block any harder than that anyway!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

For what it's worth, with my old saltare about for years ago my gate was really shallow angle maybe 14 degrees. wake plate was up just a little from neutral. weight was even and about the same as yours Korey. Out of curiosity, What angle is your gate and how big is the tab?
    Function before fashion!

I've been following this thread on and off. I'm going to make my own Suck gate, what seems to be the common consensus on the best handle to use? The Seastow, or the metal HOD? Has anyone had the seastow come off during use?
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4