Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    I've been following this thread on and off. I'm going to make my own Suck gate, what seems to be the common consensus on the best handle to use? The Seastow, or the metal HOD? Has anyone had the seastow come off during use?
    I started with plastic, great wake but wouldn't hold for long. Today I was able to get out with my upgraded Abaco metal handle. Held great, wife and I surfed a bunch and it never moved and wake was great! I just wrapped up making my seastow handle one tonight. It will get surf trials tomorrow but it seams to have just as much sucking power as the metal. I'm hoping seastow works best as it is all plastic which makes it very light and less chance of damage should it ever come loose. I will update results when I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    I've been following this thread on and off. I'm going to make my own Suck gate, what seems to be the common consensus on the best handle to use? The Seastow, or the metal HOD? Has anyone had the seastow come off during use?
    The harbor freight handle is $8 and literally hasn't come off ONCE. it's never budged. even the time I forgot it was on and throttled up to above surf speed.

The only real downside is that the springs inside seem to be rusting.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Hey guys.....have a Mailbu now, but sold my older 2003 Supra Launch DD to a buddy. Wanted to check in over here and see if any of you guys are using the suck gate on an older DD launch and if you can get it to stick. He's been asking me and I'm curious before wasting time building him one. I know I could try mine on his boat but our schedules vary drastically.
    Sleep when your Dead

That works perfectly. using a sucker gate on my Launch DD MY00 and it works just fine.

i ended up buying a metal suction cup handle for $17.88 on amazon, rated for 220lbs vertical holding capacity. i cut up an old wooden shelf that i had lying around, drilled a few holes in the handle, and raided my hardware bins for suitable fasteners. it's not the prettiest, and now that i know it works i may do some refinement on the design and shape. here's my prototype:

I have a total of $17.88 invested in it, and i have to say it works surprisingly well! i've been out twice with it for several hours each time, and it never budged an inch. With a 500lb sac in the ski locker, 800lbs on the floor behind the dog house/infront of the rear seats, and a little 300lb sitting on the seat about the cooler in my sunsport, and just me and my buddy aboard, and the wave was bigger, smoother, and fatter than i've ever had it. The boat loves it, because its over 1000lbs less ballast that im not carting around now. overall, it's the best $17.88 and 45mins of my life i've spent in a long time. And to think my surfing buddy was about to drop $500 plus dollars on one for my boat.

i'll check the springs inside the handle periodically for rust, thanks for the heads up Trayson. if i have to buy a new handle every season thats not the end of the world.
    Last edited by Moor; 07-12-2016 at 03:53 PM.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

oh, it floats too, so the bungie cord isn't necessary.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

I have a couple extra ones on the Seastow handle kicking around in case anyone doesn't want to diy.
    PM me if interested

Pm sent...
    Overkill is underrated...

'06 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games

What is the angle that works the best for DD boats? I've seen people do 90 Degrees and also 110?