Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to supra ownership

I'm from the Kentucky lake area and I'm a new 1991 supra comp owner. I've been looking for one of these locally and finally found one. I do however have some concerns as though I may have pulled the trigger on this boat fairly quick.image.jpg

1. I know these boats are susceptible to stringer rot. I looked around and walked around as much as I could for soft spots and did t find any. The boat has set with tarps on it for most of the last two years.

2. The original motor was not winterized and it caused one of the exhaust manifold to crack and the freeze plugs to pop. Freeze plugs are replaced and it does run.

3. Simple google searches don't show much for replacement parts. The list is growing but if I could have some help in a direction.
    Cover
    Oem decals/vinyl stripping
    Window drivers side
    Glass trim- rubber on the outside of windshield
    Pad on deck top that has adhesive
    Exhaust flap
    Swim deck- I prefer the teak

I just hauled this thing home and started buffing on the gel coat which has turned out nicely.
    Last edited by Hatchguy; 05-10-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Welcome to the Supra family! This site is full of information and people willing to help with experience. So here is my 2 cents for your questions......
    Cover - http://www.skiboatcovers.com/
    Oem decals/vinyl stripping - peel them off and buff out the gel coat
    Window drivers side - Good Luck!!!!!
    Glass trim- rubber on the outside of windshield - http://www.skidim.com/
    Pad on deck top that has adhesive - I pulled mine and replaced with teak FullSizeRender.jpg I bought the teak on ebay and cut it to shape.
    Exhaust flap - http://www.skidim.com/
    Swim deck- I prefer the teak- There are a couple threads on here from people that have made their own, although with teak being so expensive! Look into African Mahogany. Hopefully @Michael Hunter can chime in here.
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

Thanks, I like the teak on the top. What did you use to adhere it to the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchguy View Post
    Thanks, I like the teak on the top. What did you use to adhere it to the deck.
    First I tried some adhesive, however that didn't last long before it started peeling up. So I predrilled holes in the wood and then screwed them onto the deck. I ordered 1/2" thick planks and ripped them in half to make 1/4" and used the old pads as the pattern.
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

Welcome to the forum, and the old boat lifestyle! Where in KY are you? I'm in Lexington and boat all over, but mostly Laurel and Cumberland. Make Discount Inboard marine (skidim.com) your best friend!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Any water in the oil after running it? If the freeze plugs popped and you cracked a manifold, your block may be toast as well. Freeze plugs popping doesn't mean it saved your motor, it just means water was in that area and pushed the plugs out. They're not actually freeze plugs at all, they're core plugs that are covering the holes used to sand cast that block and drain the sand out after they were done. There's many water jackets and other small areas that don't have freeze plugs to pop under cold conditions. I'd check the oil, make sure it doesn't look like a milkshake. If it does, you may have bigger problems on your hands. For your sake, I hope you don't. Welcome to the fam.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Zim just asked the same question that popped into my head when i read this. Check your oil! I had a freeze out plug pop 2 winters ago, even after winterization. One of the block drain plugs by the oil pan (454) wouldn't come out, and i guess i didn't get enugh antifreeze circulating in that part of the cooling system. I got luck and only had to replace the freeze out plug. Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to the forum.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Checked it first, looks good. That was my first thought and was going to be a bargaining tool, but it fired up so I took the chance for a $1,800 boat.

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    Welcome to the forum, and the old boat lifestyle! Where in KY are you? I'm in Lexington and boat all over, but mostly Laurel and Cumberland. Make Discount Inboard marine (skidim.com) your best friend!
    I'm in Paducah and mostly stay on KY Lake or the Ohio/TN rivers.

Just checked the motor mount bolts that bolt to the stringers. Drivers side is solid and tight. Pass side spins freely.