Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta, GA

Default Atlanta, GA

So fellow Supra owners I have been blessed with a job offer in Atlanta, GA. Obviously I need to take care of what is important first and get information from any locals on where to ski, lakes in the area to start looking at housing etc..... I will be working at the airport so please keep that in mind when making suggestions. Thank you in advance for all the help.
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtpilot View Post
    So fellow Supra owners I have been blessed with a job offer in Atlanta, GA. Obviously I need to take care of what is important first and get information from any locals on where to ski, lakes in the area to start looking at housing etc..... I will be working at the airport so please keep that in mind when making suggestions. Thank you in advance for all the help.
    I'm born and raised in the ATL. The airport isn't close to any lakes so at that point you have to decide if a short commute to work is important to you vs. a short commute to the lake.
    The two main lakes in Atlanta are Allatoona Lake and Lake Lanier and are on the north side. Both reside in some of the fastest growing counties in the SE. Allatoona is a third of the size of Lanier. If the Comp is your boat, you may not get much use out of it on Lanier during the peak hours as it will be flooded by the 60 footers passing by.
    I quit going to Lanier in the early 90's due to the rough water. I'm partial to the north side of the city as that is where my bread and butter is with the large Buckhead mansions for business but frequently travel to all areas of the city.
    The highways are crowded and congested no matter where you live. Atlanta is not limited by any natural landscape or water boundaries so people tend to commute for hours in every direction. With Coca-Cola, Home Depot, UPS, Delta, AT&T, Chick-Fil-A, Georgia-Pacific, Waffle House, SunTrust and many more headquartered here, including Mercedes-Benz coming down, there are many people continuing to migrate south and home construction has once again picked up. There is always plenty of inventory and you can find a good large home for a really fair price. It really comes down to quality of life with the commute and if you have kids, the school system.

I've done a lot of work for pilots as well in the area and generally there are larger numbers that live on the south side in Peachtree City. There are quite a few still that that tend to live in the NE corridor where the commute can be 35 -50 min without traffic. I have several neighbors that fly for Delta.
    I live in Marietta (14 miles north of ATL) and can make it to the airport in 35 min on average to the park and fly. Allatoona is 20 min north.

There is a lake called West Point Lake SW of Peachtree City. I've been there only once for a client and haven't been able to explore it by boat.
    It may be a 50 min commute or so from PTC.

You may want to PM forum member InAir. He is a pilot and lives in PTC. He may offer you more insight from a pilot's perspective. I have his cell number if you want to take it a step further and call him personally.

I don't mind a 45min -1hr commute to work, I do that now. My main concern with Atlanta is the 3-4 hour commute I have heard about from my sister that lived down there. However working nights hopefully the drive might be better.
    Big Air tower

oh, yeah schools is gonna be another big thing to consider.
    Big Air tower

@MischieflV do you know anything about Lake Tara / Treasure Lake?
    Big Air tower

I don't mind a 45min -1hr commute to work, I do that now. My main concern with Atlanta is the 3-4 hour commute I have heard about from my sister that lived down there. However working nights hopefully the drive might be better.
    3 -4 hour commute? Where does she live? South Carolina? Traffic is bad...anywhere, any big city. I can be across town near Michael Hunter's pad on a bad Friday summer afternoon and it will only take me an hour to hour and half. I have one co-worker that lives on the west side of the city and it takes him on average one hour every morning and one hour every evening to do the 28 mile ride. My brother lives 35 miles north and he usually spends just over an hour to ride south. There are the exceptions depending on rain. And we get a lot of rain.
    My wife works 11 miles from home and her average commute is 25 min for her afternoon ride. The highways aren't all created equal here and that tends to be a big problem. I have 8 lanes to choose from on my commute.
    They are currently doing a $780 million dollar highway renovation on the NW side with new HOV lanes and that is supposed to alleviate issues (says our trusted gov't.) but then they go construct a new ball stadium for the Braves at the same location which is supposed to wreak havoc on traffic, but if it turns into 3 - 4 hours, I will definitely pack my bags and move to the lake house.
    And yes, schools play a big part here. City of Atlanta schools are corrupt along with Clayton County. Do not move to Clayton County.

They lived in Powder Springs and worked downtown, usually 2 hour drive but a few times it was 3+ she said. I live in Chicago now so a drive isn't a big deal I just don't want to be in traffic hell! lol
    Big Air tower

They lived in Powder Springs and worked downtown, usually 2 hour drive but a few times it was 3+ she said. I live in Chicago now so a drive isn't a big deal I just don't want to be in traffic hell! lol
    Well, Powder Springs has no access to any major highway and no straight line to get there. She may have to do back roads with lots of traffic lights, then highway. Maybe she is the only person in ATL that obeys the speed limit.

No, on Lake Tara or Treasure. Not a fan of that area.

I lived in Roswell for 8 years. Next door to Mr Mischief IV.

My life was driving from home to the airport.

Boated mainly on Allatoona. Too many damn people and cars for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

It is a couple hours from Atlanta, but I vacationed on Lake Hiwasee in North Carolina and it sure was nice. That was about 15 yrs ago so I am not sure what it is like now but you could live 1/2 way between the two and that might be good.