Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

How does FAO affect the wake at skiing speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    How would you say it compares to the quietest newer ski/wake boat you've been in? Driving my boat a little this week, I am still on the fence about losing the sound.
    They say 50% noise reduction and I'd say 75% or more very quit and makes it great for surfing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scottschmitt View Post
    How does FAO affect the wake at skiing speeds?
    From what I've read, it doesn't really affect the wake at those speeds. There may be a bit of a rooster tail (I can't see how there wouldn't be!) but no effect on a skier.

I've read about these things on the Correct Craft forums, WakeWorld, here, and other places, too. If you start digging, there were some earlier models (2007, 2008 maybe) that dove a little too deep into the water and had more of an effect on wakes, and a bigger rooster tail. Some said it "softened the lip" which would be bad for wakeboarding, but not so much for skiing. Also some boat models are more affected than others. But one problem is, you have to measure a bunch of things and then they make the cuts, welds, etc. SO if you're not right on, or don't pay attention to the instructions, it could screw up your experience.

For the most part, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and very few people ever return or remove them, from what I can tell. This "rooster tail" is nothing at all like you'd see behind a jet boat or something, or a go-fast boat trimmed way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmysupra View Post
    They say 50% noise reduction and I'd say 75% or more very quit and makes it great for surfing
    Thanks... I really, really want to ride in an older boat that has one of these installed. I'm not sure there's any other way. Sounds just don't come through videos well enough for a fair comparison. And more than the money, I'm not sure I'd like to spend the time (hard to come by with two little kids) if I'm not 100% certain that I'd like the change.

From what I've read, it doesn't really affect the wake at those speeds. There may be a bit of a rooster tail (I can't see how there wouldn't be!) but no effect on a skier.

I've read about these things on the Correct Craft forums, WakeWorld, here, and other places, too. If you start digging, there were some earlier models (2007, 2008 maybe) that dove a little too deep into the water and had more of an effect on wakes, and a bigger rooster tail. Some said it "softened the lip" which would be bad for wakeboarding, but not so much for skiing. Also some boat models are more affected than others. But one problem is, you have to measure a bunch of things and then they make the cuts, welds, etc. SO if you're not right on, or don't pay attention to the instructions, it could screw up your experience.

For the most part, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and very few people ever return or remove them, from what I can tell. This "rooster tail" is nothing at all like you'd see behind a jet boat or something, or a go-fast boat trimmed way out.

Thanks... I really, really want to ride in an older boat that has one of these installed. I'm not sure there's any other way. Sounds just don't come through videos well enough for a fair comparison. And more than the money, I'm not sure I'd like to spend the time (hard to come by with two little kids) if I'm not 100% certain that I'd like the change.
    Well I have surfed with it and in a video you don't hear engine just Walter rushing

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmysupra View Post
    Well I have surfed with it and in a video you don't hear engine just Walter rushing
    Yeah... call me stubborn but I need the V8 sound. It could be quieter - I can clearly see the benefits of that - but I feel like it would change the whole character of the boat. I mean, my kids and even my DOG knows the sound of my boat coming in to the house. My son always asks me to rev it under the low bridge so he can hear the echo of the rev (great sound under a low steel/concrete bridge)... hmm.

Yeah I do that with my kickass sound system

My son always asks me to rev it under the low bridge so he can hear the echo of the rev (great sound under a low steel/concrete bridge)... hmm.
    Doing it right.

I would not do a FAE. I like how my boat sounds and I rarely surf. If you want it to be quieter than straight pipes just put some mufflers on it to knock the decibels down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    I would not do a FAE. I like how my boat sounds and I rarely surf. If you want it to be quieter than straight pipes just put some mufflers on it to knock the decibels down a bit.
    Mufflers don't compare.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    Mufflers don't compare.
    It's just a matter of preference on what your looking for. I like the sound of in inboard motor as much as the next guy. But I like the quietness for summer fun and super loud music. It's not drag racing its family fun