Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Fresh Air Exhaust - 2 questions

edit: oops, really 3 questions.

I am thinking about putting a fresh air exhaust system on my boat - the commercial one, not a DIY solution. I have been reading a lot about these systems for a few years now, and everyone seems to love them once installed.

I have a few questions I haven't seen really answered:

1. Is it ever an issue when you're hanging on/climbing onto the swim deck, of hitting your feet on the end of the stainless pipe? It looks like it is sharp, and would be mid-way under the swim deck I think. I am guessing it's not an issue because I haven't seen anyone mention it?

2. For those of you who have had one for a few years now, are you still happy? In particular, the noise reduction. I happen to LOVE the sound of my boat. I do recognize, however, that for my two little kids (and everyone else in the boat, really) it's not the best thing for your hearing, let alone just being able to talk while the boat is running. But do you miss the sound???

3. Relating to the sound, where my boat is an '89, it's much louder than, say, a 2005 Nautique 196 that I've spent a lot of time in. Are these things substantially quieter than a relatively quiet modern ski boat?

Thanks for your input. I've been pondering this for years, and I just got a little money for my birthday... as much as I'd rather spend it on... scotch? I might just make this happen for the health of my family.
    Last edited by SquamInboards; 05-18-2016 at 01:00 PM.

I've since talked to Christine (I think that was her name) at FAE and as others have mentioned, she was very helpful. Great customer service attitude and I haven't bought anything yet.

She sent detailed instructions and lots of photos and documentation to me and it looks like the placement is just fine. It would actually mount directly to the trim tab/wakeplate which is interesting. That's fine with me, I never ever move that plate.

One thing I read about on the CCfan forum (those guys nearly all love their loud exhausts) was about the "tone" of the exhaust. One person said (and this is how I feel) that they would be fine reducing the volume of their exhaust so their kids don't go deaf, and you can have conversations at speed. But you wouldn't want to lose that tone, as in the deep sound that these V8s make. I couldn't agree more. That's really my big concern. I don't want to have the sound of a 4.3 Mercruiser 18' Sea Ray I/O.

Any thoughts on the difference in sound?

The difference in sound is dramatic. Especially on plane. It's the best stereo upgrade you can buy. It was difficult for me to hear when the engine was running or not running while idleing -- I never had that problem before the FAE.

I thought it was amazing in every way. The downtube was never an issue for feet, rarely are people kicking underneath the boat.

It makes a HUGE effect on the CO coming into the boat while surfing. That was the original reason for my upgrade.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

The consensus is definitely that the change in sound is dramatic, exactly as you said. Did you like the noise before? I mean, I like it and all but I did like it more 10 years ago before I had two little kids in the boat. I think both my kids would like it better if it were quieter. Maybe that's all that matters?

The river that I boat on is full of go-fast boats with above water exhausts. Since I don't like them, I never much cared that my boat lost a "rumble." The stereo was always on and always loud. I'd rather not hear any engine at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    The river that I boat on is full of go-fast boats with above water exhausts. Since I don't like them, I never much cared that my boat lost a "rumble." The stereo was always on and always loud. I'd rather not hear any engine at all.
    That's interesting, because the lake I'm on has exactly zero "go-fast" boats in part because of a 40mph speed limit. Most of the locals we know have inboard ski boats because they are just about perfect on this lake. But the majority of boats are 19'+/- sterndrive or smaller fishing boats, or pontoon boats.

I do love the sound of my boat, but two things happened over the weekend. I was at a nearby lake for a wedding and it's full of what you are talking about, the raspy straight-pipe sound of go-fast boats ... and I don't like them either. Again with the kids, I'm thinking that it would be really nice for them to have a quieter boat. The other thing was when I was on the shore of my lake on a very calm, quiet morning. A new-looking Nautique 200 went by the house and I clearly could hear the engine and the exhaust note, but it was very tame. Definitely, unquestionably still an inboard V8 sound, but a lot quieter than mine to say the least. Maybe that's roughly what it would sound like? If that's the case, I can live with that. Even the sound of a 2012 Super Air Nautique that I rode in a bunch last year, you could still talk in the boat while underway. If it's anything close to that I can handle it.

So, now I have to pull the boat and take measurements. Any other week I might be able to get the marina to just forklift it out for a few minutes. Not the week before Memorial Day.

Also, didn't you sell the Saltare? What do you have now?

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post

Also, didn't you sell the Saltare? What do you have now?
    Yes I did. I'm shopping now. The used market is for sellers right now and I can't afford new. I know what boat I want, I know what I want to pay for it and I believe I can get it for that..... but I'll have to wait for the right deal or for the seasons to start changing. Until then? Enjoying having friends with boats and working on some long overdue house projects!

Just installed it on my 2002 sunsport V and it's awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmysupra View Post
    Just installed it on my 2002 sunsport V and it's awesome

Image1464194530.732136.jpg

How would you say it compares to the quietest newer ski/wake boat you've been in? Driving my boat a little this week, I am still on the fence about losing the sound.