Default Shaft Seal Failure Help

At the tail end of last year I thought the bilge had more water in it than usual, but we were doing a lot of surfing and dragging water into the boat. Then it seemed worse and I figured I had a leaky o ring in one of my bags. My bags all look good and now I suspect the shaft seal.

I just pulled the boat out to fire it up in advance of putting it in the lake for the season and with the "fake a lake" attached I noticed a solid stream of water coming from the prop shaft exit under the boat. I've either never noticed this before or the seal is shot....guessing the seal is bad.

I have dripless type and wonder how difficult it is to change?

I did a quick search and didn't find too much on the subject. It's not going to be fun cause the v drives suck, but how bad is it?
    Ken
    2017 NXT22
    2009 24SSV

I'm a bit confused. With the fake a lake attached you have water running from inside the boat to the outside at the prop shaft?

It sounds like he has the intake hooked up to the hose, with a drip less seal, meaning that is has pressured water to seal it, but I would think they would pour out water and keep the boat dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    I'm a bit confused. With the fake a lake attached you have water running from inside the boat to the outside at the prop shaft?
    I was supplying water from under the boat at the raw water intake and noticed water exiting from under the boat at the prop shaft exit at the hull. I hadn't noticed this before but it could be normal at the seal is pressurized.....it was a lot of water however.

I'm going to float the boat today and find out what's going on.

Also checked out the "how to" on skidim.com........really not a bad job....doing it all in the blind, bent over, while bear hugging the drive will be a real treat. Might be a 3 beer job on a DD but I'm guessing this is a all day affair on a v drive. Humpf.
    Ken
    2017 NXT22
    2009 24SSV

You should get water output at the shaft if the dripless is working. The question is did the inside of your boat get wet when you fake a laked it.? If so track from where...starting at the source water all the way through impeller, thermostat, exhaust and transmission cooler that supplies the dripless shaft. Good luck. I put a dripless seal on my direct drive couple years ago and get water out the shaft anytime I run on a fake lake. Just be sure to keep looking before going through the trouble of replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by NoWake View Post
    You should get water output at the shaft if the dripless is working. The question is did the inside of your boat get wet when you fake a laked it.? If so track from where...starting at the source water all the way through impeller, thermostat, exhaust and transmission cooler that supplies the dripless shaft. Good luck. I put a dripless seal on my direct drive couple years ago and get water out the shaft anytime I run on a fake lake. Just be sure to keep looking before going through the trouble of replacing.
    You know I was so convinced the seal had or was failing it didn't occur to me to that if in fact it had FAILED water would/should seep into the bilge.....
    Ken
    2017 NXT22
    2009 24SSV

I hear you. Speedway may be distracting you this time of year in Indy. It's incredible how much water comes out my shaft now.