Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Looking at used Supra Saltare

Hi all,

New member here hoping some you guys can help me understand what else I need to look for when looking this thing over. I am not new to boats or the older Supras although it has been some time since I have looked one over. I am looking at purchasing a 1987 Supra Saltare, boat has 886 hours on it. I went and looked at it today interior was replaced maybe a year or two ago so it is like new, cover is also new along with trailer tires (basic stuff for the most part). The exterior was in a little rougher shape but clearly hasn't been detailed so it needs some TLC. Boat wasn't in the water at all last year as registration expired in 2014. It started right up after sitting for a few weeks so that was a good start. I checked over the engine, it needs some cleaning probably some hoses replaced but otherwise it didn't look terrible for 30 years old. I know the stringers are a concern for most people, the floor in the boat seemed really solid, I did some poking at what stringers in the engine bay and things seemed solid from what I could tell (not positive on what I should be looking at). Before I buy we would be putting it in the water to ensure it works as it should. I am also going to go back tomorrow to check engine compression but all seemed to be sounded from my 10 minute assessment. Right now the guy is at $7K but I am thinking this boat is more like a $6K boat.

Is there anything else I should be looking at/for when I go back? I am a little leery only because the boat is 30 years old but I absolutely LOVE The old Saltare's so I am looking for somewhat of a project boat as I like to restore things. We have family friends that have had a number of Supra's over the years and quite a few Saltare's and Sunsports and they have loved them.

I have some pics posted below.

Thanks for any help and feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some pics of the engine.

PS I forgot to mention I am sure you guys get this question all the time so I apologize for the redundancy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FWIW, the guy that bought my boat looked at this one and seemed to think the floor had just been replaced. If that's true, I'd assume that the stringers are rotten. At the minimum, put a wrench (or have the seller put a wrench) on the engine mount bolts where they mount to the stringers. If they are soft or spin, you'll need to plan for stringer replacement.

I've yet to see anyone come on this board with a boat from this vintage that has solid original stringers.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Looks nice.
    Small leaks on the riser gaskets. Not a big deal, but maybe should be fixed.
    Check the transom fiberglass where the wakeplate bars attach, tends to get soft there.
    Water test if you can. Check for water leaks and make sure the thing drives straight without wonky vibration.
    Good luck on the motor mounts.
    6-7k seems pretty much ballparkish.

So based on above comments flat out ask the seller to his face if floor is recently replaced, if so who did work, and if so what were condition of stringers at the time. Were stringers replaced?

Thanks for the replies so far guys. The seller is not the original owner of the boat. He took it on trade for some equipment (he sells large equipment and was trying to help a friend out by taking it on trade or so he says). He basically flat out told me he didn't know anything about them so he couldn't say much in terms of what had been done to the boat. I can tell you the interior looks like it was new/newer, can't say for certain that it was the entire deck replaced or just the carpet but the seats and carpet look new.

I will be sure to bring wrenches with me to check the motor mounts, that's a good tip would of never thought of it. I am sure the stringers are going to need replacing at some point I was kind of planning on that but I figured for $6K I could get a few decent years out of it with some TLC and cleaning, they are hard to come by in my area, at least in decent shape. I will give it a better once over tomorrow.

Anything else I need to be looking for?

The beauty of a cheap boat is it takes very little fun to justify the expense. If it is sea worthy buy it and Have fun on it. All you have to do is have $2,000 dollars a year worth of fun for 3 years and you can give the boat away for free and you break even.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulphie View Post
    The beauty of a cheap boat is it takes very little fun to justify the expense. If it is sea worthy buy it and Have fun on it. All you have to do is have $2,000 dollars a year worth of fun for 3 years and you can give the boat away for free and you break even.
    Man that is a great way to justify it haha. I like your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by scottschmitt View Post
    Looks nice.
    Small leaks on the riser gaskets. Not a big deal, but maybe should be fixed.
    Check the transom fiberglass where the wakeplate bars attach, tends to get soft there.
    Water test if you can. Check for water leaks and make sure the thing drives straight without wonky vibration.
    Good luck on the motor mounts.
    6-7k seems pretty much ballparkish.
    Whats the cost of repair on the riser gaskets? Assuming I just pull the risers off the manifold and replace the gaskets? If that's all it entails maybe a $50 job?

it's not a 454 isn't it ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare