Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Well heading over with some tools, compression tester and a friend of mine who knows his stuff with these boats (and moral support haha), wish me luck! Hoping we don't find any issues and I can get it for the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    That sure looks like a 351 to me.

And the "hole" in the engine cover is the storage compartment built into the rear of the engine cover. Very handy I think, I keep a few small tools, spare impeller and belts, a few other odds and ends in there.
    Good to know, it looked like a factory placed "hole" to me but I wasn't sure after Poorhouse brought it to my attention. Thanks for the info!

Well guys just got back. Unfortunately that boat is a no go. Motor mounts spun easily inside the stringers and it had one cylinder at 90PSI while the rest were at 120. I had to walk away. The search continues.

PS thank you all for your suggestions and feedback, definitely helped me investigate a bit deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by dbruesehoff View Post
    Well guys just got back. Unfortunately that boat is a no go. Motor mounts spun easily inside the stringers and it had one cylinder at 90PSI while the rest were at 120. I had to walk away. The search continues.

PS thank you all for your suggestions and feedback, definitely helped me investigate a bit deeper.
    A close friend owns a major car dealership. He told me to never fall in love with a particular car for you can always find a nicer one tomorrow. I have since found this to be so true! The same can be applied to boats!
    Good luck and much success in your quest.

Glad you found out the stringer problem on that boat. More like $2500 range at best needing stringers and an engine rebuild. Pay now or pay later. Any wood stringer boat you plan on doing stringers unless it's been done and documented, just a matter of when. Just gotta crunch the numbers and be sure it's a fair deal.

By now all original wood stringer Supras need complete cap offs restos. Be patient the right boat will find you. Problem is summer is here and the prices are high, I would be waiting for fall....

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Loving the white whale Pirata...

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Sorry it didn't work out.

That is a good price on the 97 Pirata.

EFI and composite construction.
    1986 Sunsport Skier with Acme 543

I agree, that Pirata is nice, I am just really looking for the open bow for more space. I have found a couple Sunsport's in Texas that are in great condition, one is a 1991 and the other is a 1992 both same color and price, its a haul but based on what is available in my area I may have to make the trip. We shall see, of course now I have the itch and tend to get impatient when that happens lol.

The guy with the Saltare dropped the ad price down to $7450 and quoted me $6600 after I told him it would be $3-4K Max knowing all the issues. I am sure he is hoping for an unsuspecting victim to show up and buy it.

Keep up the search, Glad you avoided this disaster of a boat. FWIW, i picked up my 88 Sunsport 454 3 years ago for $6500. It was (and still is) 110% original. Never had strings or floor work. The stringer bolts were as tight as could be, and the boat was in excellent shape. Fast forward 3 years of almost daily use 6 months out of the year, and being moored all season for 3 years, and i have developed one small soft spot on the floor by the spotters seat, and 1 engine mount bolt is just starting to spin. I can still snug it up pretty tight, and the others are very tight. In the last 3 years i feel i've gotten my moneys worth from this boat, and it should give me at least another 3 years before i have to start thinking about stringer replacement. Good deals are out there, just keep your eyes peeled and you'll find one.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4