Default Steering Cable Specs

Has anyone found a list of steering cable specs? Took the 2005 24SSV out of the hanger for the first time this season and the steering has gotten very stiff. It would be nice to know the length cable to order before pulling the old cable!?!

I guess I'll take that as a "no".

My experience has always been to measure the existing cable. I personally have not found any sources that give exact replacement specs. I have purchased a few in the past for outboards and I/O. My first guesstimate shorted my self 6 inches. All the rest have been measured prior to purchase.

Easiest way to replace it is to pull the new using the old. What did you use to pull the old out with?

A lot of times the steering feels stiff right away, but gets better after a few rides and a lot of lock-to-lock cycles. Mine certainly was much stiffer on the first day than it is now. In any case, you may be able to see a part number stamped on the casing of the cable, which would indicate the length. Actually it may indicate the whole manufacturer's part number, even better. In any case the last two digits are the length in feet, at least with most Teleflex cables.

For pulling cables I've used a 1/2" wide flat nylon "rope" but really any small diameter, strong cord would work. Then you can pull the old, measure etc. and later pull the new one through with the rope. Having two people is beyond helpful, almost essential.

I've attached old air hose, water hose, junk cable from a previous replacement, just really anything that is semi-stiff and flexible. I've used some heavy twine as well, but the old hose seemed to work best.

Thanks guys...good tips!

Kind of a shame...the last boat I had used a mercruiser, and it had a grease zirk on the cable. Passed the boat to my brother, and it is still going with the original steering cable after 50 years. Last season the Supra steered like power steering. Just a few months in the shed and it tightened up...I'll see if it loosens before I pull it out.
    Last edited by CJD; 05-25-2016 at 06:59 PM.

I agree with the zerk fitting. To try to mimic it, I packed the support tube with marine grease in an attempt to keep moisture out of the rudder side.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    A lot of times the steering feels stiff right away, but gets better after a few rides and a lot of lock-to-lock cycles. Mine certainly was much stiffer on the first day than it is now. In any case, you may be able to see a part number stamped on the casing of the cable, which would indicate the length. Actually it may indicate the whole manufacturer's part number, even better. In any case the last two digits are the length in feet, at least with most Teleflex cables.

For pulling cables I've used a 1/2" wide flat nylon "rope" but really any small diameter, strong cord would work. Then you can pull the old, measure etc. and later pull the new one through with the rope. Having two people is beyond helpful, almost essential.
    Got all doubled over and found the number, as you suggested. For a 2005 24ssv the cable is teleflex ssc13420. That reads as a 20 footer...so have it on order. We did spend a couple hours running grease through everything, but it only had a minimal affect on steering effort. After 11 years I think it's time.

Thanks again to everyone!

Great! Glad you were able to find the part #, it's not always that easy. 11 years, yeah. That's plenty of life out of a steering cable.