Default Replacement Trailer

So, long story short I blew a bearing on the original trailer my 1996 La Brisa came with (at least, I think it was the OEM trailer). It was in pretty rough shape already but now after this damage to the spindle, and with the age and condition of the trailer, I'm seriously considering junking it and getting a new trailer.

Any suggestions on who to buy from? Any idea who made the OEM trailer for those years (was it Boatmate?). I don't think my trailer had a VIN, but I can check. I'd rather not get some generic trailer that doesn't fit my boat very well, and I'm somewhat at a loss as to where to start shopping.
    1996 Supra La Brisa

You're going to be SO FAR money ahead if you just service/update your trailer. You can even bolt on new axles if that is what's going to make you comfortable. etrailer.com sells everything or you could probably even find a local trailer shop to do the work for you.

A new trailer is going to cost $4k+ -- that's a lot of repairs that you could make to your current trailer and parts are relatively cheap if you can do a minimal amount of wrenching yourself.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I am sure there are some local shops. I have quite a few in a 50 mile radius that build boat trailers.

Most importantly I would look for a shop that uses quality parts like Kodiak. I would do my best to steer clear of Tiedown industries parts.

The Kodiak ss brakes seem to last the longest with the least amount of maintenance and frozen brake pistons etc. I have had all the lug nut studs spin in the hubs with Tiedown stuff. I had to pull the whole assemblies and use a sparkle wrench to cut the heads off the studs and drive them out to get my wheel off of the crappy hubs.

http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/

Phew, I wasn't aware a new trailer would be that pricey.

In any case, I already got to work on the spindle.. had a friend that is more knowledgeable than I come over and supervise.. We re-cut the threads for the nut, and I ground off all the extra metal, still have to cut off the old inner race and smooth out the dimple, then get new bearings ordered. Hopefully have it done next week so I can get this thing back in the water soon! My buddy said he had worked on and repaired spindles that looked much worse than mine, so I feel pretty confident.
    1996 Supra La Brisa

Looks like your on the right track! Spindles can be tricky but even if you have to replace your entire axle..... you're still on the right side of this one. My local farm supply store carries axles and they aren't that expensive.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

All of your running gear for trailers is surprisingly very available. If not exact, the newer upgrade parts come with all the replacement hardware to adapt. I recently had to replace rotors and calipers on mine. I was pleasantly surprised at the availability of parts for it. I just couldn't find pre-made trailer bunks.... now that is a pain! I have used pacifictrailers.com, trailerparts.com, and etrailer.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Plum Nauti View Post
    All of your running gear for trailers is surprisingly very available. If not exact, the newer upgrade parts come with all the replacement hardware to adapt. I recently had to replace rotors and calipers on mine. I was pleasantly surprised at the availability of parts for it. I just couldn't find pre-made trailer bunks.... now that is a pain! I have used pacifictrailers.com, trailerparts.com, and etrailer.com.
    Well, that was a couple of days of hell trying to get the right parts for my hubs.. Had the correct bearings and races, but I couldn't find the proper grease seal to save my life. I needed a 2.33in OD (or 2.32, depending on which mfr number you used) and 1.68in ID (guessed due to it being chewed up during removal) by .5 inch deep, but the part number on the old one (which was barely readable) pulled up one that was either 2.56 OD and the right depth or 2.33 and only .3 inches deep. I went all over town to trailer repair places and auto parts stores with no luck. I did find one online that looked correct and was worth a shot, but it would have taken 3 weeks to get here.

I ended up a Tractor Supply because they have some bearing kits listed online that I thought might have the right seal in them, but there were no measurements online so I had to go to the store. Wrong grease seal again. Then I noticed two hub assemblies on the shelf that were the right bolt pattern and weight rating, so I thought what the hell I'll give it a try.

Sure enough, they fit perfectly! Very snug and no wiggle. I just had to find the right spindle lock nut kit, which I was able to get at an auto parts store. I ended up replacing both hubs entirely with the ones from Tractor Supply.. no brake drums on them but the brakes didn't work anyways.

I really still need to replace the one spindle (probably a new axle entirely) but the boat is rolling so that's a start.
    1996 Supra La Brisa

For an earlier Saltare trailer so may or may not be the same: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...er-source-size

Inner:
    Race SKF L-68110
    Bearing SKF L-68149

Outer:
    Race L44610
    Bearing L44649

Seal
    PN 168233
    OD 2.33"
    ID 1.694" (sleeve)

Sadly that's one of the numbers that put me on the chase for the wrong seal. I actually had NOK AD2527E stamped on the rubber of mine, but that pulled up the SAME wrong seal. They are all .3 in thick, which is not what my original hubs needed.
    1996 Supra La Brisa