Default Clunking sound when turning

First off, this forum is great and so are the people that participate in it! I just bought a 1992 Supra Mariah and have been enjoying it so far. I did notice one small thing that has me slightly concerned. When I turn sharp at idling speed I hear a clunking (rattling noise) from the stern of the boat. When I purchased the boat I checked everything including the cutlass bearing for play. When checking the rudder I do notice some side to side play but no up and down. Could this be the rudder rattling due to the prop wash when turned? Is there a good fix aside from replacing the entire rudder assembly? Just curious to hear if anyone has had this similar issue. Appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerW34 View Post
    First off, this forum is great and so are the people that participate in it! I just bought a 1992 Supra Mariah and have been enjoying it so far. I did notice one small thing that has me slightly concerned. When I turn sharp at idling speed I hear a clunking (rattling noise) from the stern of the boat. When I purchased the boat I checked everything including the cutlass bearing for play. When checking the rudder I do notice some side to side play but no up and down. Could this be the rudder rattling due to the prop wash when turned? Is there a good fix aside from replacing the entire rudder assembly? Just curious to hear if anyone has had this similar issue. Appreciate the help!
    Suspect it may well be your cutlass bearing.
    Had similar three years ago and new bearing solved the problem.

Thanks for the input. That idea crossed my mind. I was planning on doing it anyway this fall just so I know that it's been done. Boat has 870 hrs on it so it very well may be original. Thanks!

Well finally got around to doing the cutlass bearings on the boat. Fixed the problem! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerW34 View Post
    Well finally got around to doing the cutlass bearings on the boat. Fixed the problem! Thanks!
    Feedback appreciated! Enjoy your Mariah!