Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Drive shaft pulled out of transmission - 89 Supra Sunsport

So tonight we had finished our wakeboarding and decided to take a quick surf. My buddy gets out to ride, does a platform start and about 5 seconds into the ride I hear the engine wind up. Take it out of gear, look back, and then a 4in diameter and probably 7ft long driftwood stick pops up, chewed up right in the middle. At this point we have no drive, so shut it down and get a tow.

Once we dumped all the ballast on either side of the engine hatch and get a look inside there it's obvious the drive shaft has pulled out of the transmission.

Anyone know how this is connected? It looks like the drive shaft is threaded. Does the driveshaft thread into that bolted joint on the transmission?
    How would this need to be repaired? It also seems there was a pretty good leak coming in my prop shaft seal packing (which I had just changed in March this year).

It was 8:15PM when it happened and probably 9 ish when we got back to the dock so I haven't surveyed the damage much at this point. We had 4 kids on the boat 6, 4, 3, 7mo and four adults so I really just wanted to get all the little ones home and wan't worried too much about the boat at that point. Luckily my riding buddy knew the only other boat out in the cove and we called them in for a tow.

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, but thought I'd at least get the discussion going and see what everyone knew about this.
    Thanks,
    -dy

Pics will help tremendously here as I have seen two different types of couplers on these boats.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

There should be a nut on the end of the shaft and could have a set screw from outside into the nut.

1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

Like the pic above tapered shaft, key and nut with a carter pin . I would expect the cuppler is shot you should also have the shaft checked . A good time to replace the cutlass bearings.

If the cuppler is bad, some supras have a deep cuppler and some shallow cuppler. Skidim only carries the deeper one. To get the shallow cuppler, buy the deep one take the old and new cuppler to a machine shop and have them turn it down to the same depth of the original cuppler. Machine shop did mine for about thirty dollars and it took them about thirty minutes to do. Worked like a charm.

My 89 has the deep one.

crazy. my 89 has the shallow.

I was wrong my 92 comp is deep the 89 Sunsport is shallow

My 91 comp is shallow

Quote Originally Posted by NoWake View Post
    My 91 comp is shallow
    In more ways than one right?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski