Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine won't turn over

I can't get my motor to turn over starter is good. I took spark plugs out and tried to manually turn crank but was not able to. I don't believe engine is locked up because it did not over heat or make any unusual sounds. I had prop mishap and was unable to get it off with prop puller, sledge hammer, and propaine torch. I ended up cutting old prop off. Could I have damage the v-drive or transmission from hitting the prop trying to get it off?

Does it make a click when you turn the key?

How did you try to manually turn the motor? Even with the plugs in it should be fairly easy to turn with a 2 foot bar. An easy bypass to see if there is a different issue is to run a jumper cable from the +ve terminal on the battery to the +ve terminal on the starter. Beware, when you touch the starter terminal there will be a big spark so no fuel vapors allowed! Also beware that you know for sure which is the +ve terminal otherwise you'll be shorting the battery, and that's bad.

I already took the starter off and tested it. Starter is good and it is hitting hard when installed it just won't turn the motor
    Last edited by BBOOMN; 06-07-2016 at 06:47 PM.

I replaced 2 bolts in pully with longer ones and used a tool that hooks on 2 bolts to turn a motor over

I only ran the engine for about 15 minutes got up to about 45mph for about 2 minutes and it started loosing speed I took it out of gear and then put it back in gear again it took off but would only turn 1000 rpm so I shut it off and looked under the lid found oil squirted out from the oil filter I loosened the filter and found gasket had been pinched I fixed it and tightened it up. I lost 1.5 qts I tried to start it and it would not start. But it did not over heat or make any unusual sounds.
    Last edited by BBOOMN; 06-07-2016 at 06:58 PM.

I really really hope this isn't the case, but if you can't turn it with the plugs out and a good grip on the crank pulley, it's seized. If it was pushing oil out around the filter, there could be something stopping the oil from circulating, and then something got starved. Did you try to turn it backwards when you had tuned it by hand? Even if it only moves a few degrees before it stops then you know at least the bottom end probably isn't seized. There are so many things that could be seized, that you have to start somewhere. One frozen valve could do it. There are folks on this forum with way more experience with motors than I have, who may have seen something like this and know a better place to start, but knowing about the oil now, I doubt it's a transmission causing your problem. The main points here are that it started slowing down and then was locked, and no funny sounds. If you can get it to move a few degrees back and forth with minimal effort, then the next step for me at least would be to pull the heads, or at minimal get the valve covers off, and look for any valves that have space between the rocker and the valve stem, you could also try to actuate the valves by getting a screw driver in between the valve and the rocker. Good luck.

I was told that the water fuel seperator could be full of water that would cause the engine to slow down and only go to 1000 rpm. I have never changed it or emptied it. If the transmission is engaged could I turn the motor manually?

Quote Originally Posted by BBOOMN View Post
    I was told that the water fuel seperator could be full of water that would cause the engine to slow down and only go to 1000 rpm. I have never changed it or emptied it. If the transmission is engaged could I turn the motor manually?
    Pretty sure the transmission requires the engine running in order to actually engage. I doubt your fuel/water separator is the culprit here as well. I think Chris hit the nail on the head and avoiding what he posted is essentially ignoring the big elephant in the room. Figure out why the block is not turning freely by hand and then once you have that figured out, go back through all the other accessories and make sure those do not contribute to another malfunction.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Anything is possible. However the clutch on these transmissions is applied hydraulically, and that requires engine rotation to power the hydraulic pump. It's not a 100% thing, but very likely if you can turn the prop by hand, the transmission is not likely to be the culprit. I suppose it's possible that the transmission itself was loading the motor because it was seizing up somehow and now it's stuck like that. Have you checked the oil level in the transmission?

That leaking oil filter is the smoking gun IMHO.
    The reason that I suspect you've got a seized motor is that when you starve something for oil, the friction just gets worse and worse until it either becomes a catastrophic failure, or the motor can no longer overcome the friction. This is what I think happened in your case. When you said after you found the oil problem and it wouldn't start, do you mean it wouldn't crank, or it wouldn't start? The other question I have is that when you shut it down, was it idling properly, or did it seem like it was struggling to run?