Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In case my post looks a bit weird considering yours (Jetlink) it's because we posted same time, just sayin'
    Last edited by chris young; 06-08-2016 at 12:58 PM.

It wouldn't crank? Starter was hitting but not turning the flywheel. I think it died then I turned the key off. I just changed the oil the day I dinged up my prop and it did not leak oil but it was only running at idle or low RPM to drive it to the dock from the ramp. When loading boat back on trailor prop hit bottom. I use Mobile 1 full senthetic and oil was not even that hot to the touch when I pulled the filter off and reinstalled it. I have an appointment at the dealer to have it looked at. But they are atleast 2 weeks behind right now.

What boat and engine is this on again?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

So if I understand, this is the order of events
    Boat was running fine on an outing and then pulling it out of the water you dinged the prop.
    You replaced the prop (with great struggle)
    You changed the oil, (and filter I presume?)
    Took the boat out and ran for very short time and big power loss until the motor completely died. You found approx 1.5 quarts of oil in the bilge, and the filter was leaking around the seal. You pulled the filter and found the gasket "kinked"

Ok, I'm trying to find any or all scenarios where the new oil filter may have been plugged. Either a manufacturers flaw, or some foreign material got into the filter. The fact that you ended up loosing over a quart of oil in only a few minutes of run time leads me to believe that the return holes on the filter were blocked and the oil was being forced out around the filter. Please don't be insulted by this next question, but you didn't by any chance leave the plastic cover on the new filter when you installed it did you? I'm just trying to figure out how all that oil got pumped into the bilge so quickly.

The fact that the oil/filter wasn't hot also kind of points to the blocked filter scenario, if the oil isn't circulating it won't get hot. While an engine will eventually seize if overheated, it's actually oil starvation that causes the seizure. In an overheat situation things expand so much that the oil can't penetrate into the gaps . A motor doesn't need to overheat to seize, it just needs to be under lubricated.

I have stood by an old adage in my troubleshooting career, "go to the last place where human hands were" In this case it's the oil and filter. If you don't want to wait 2 weeks for the dealer, find an auto mechanic you can trust that's willing to work on boats, and take it to them. It's just a truck motor with funny exhaust manifolds. If it's seized, they'll find it right away.

Thx for all your help now I will have to wait on dealer now

Any news on this?

Bump, any news?