Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Anchor do I need for my boat?

Hello,
    I have a 2004 Supra Launch and looking to get an anchor.
    Hoping someone can tell me what type and size\weight it best for my boat?
    Thanks!

I am looking into the same thing. The search function netted a couple of discussions. I personally have a medium Danforth anchor. I don't have a chain in mine, and this seems to be the magical component to making it work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Plum Nauti View Post
    I am looking into the same thing. The search function netted a couple of discussions. I personally have a medium Danforth anchor. I don't have a chain in mine, and this seems to be the magical component to making it work for me.
    So when you have a chain it doesn't work well for you? What model number of the Danforth are you using?

At Academy(Local Sports Store) they basically have small medium and large. I have a medium size, not sure of the sku number. And as far as chain is concerned, it is needed to aid in the weighting of the anchor to properly set it. I'm guessing the actual weight is 7-10 lbs. The sea bed of the majority of the lakes I frequent is mud or silt. I think this should be considered when buying an anchor as well.

I've had a Wal-Mart 8# Danforth style anchor with 6' of chain for about a decade that has followed me through boats. it is "rubber" coated to help protect the interior of the boat a bit. It has served pretty well, but doesnt hook very well on the shale bottoms that I deal with at Laurel, Cumberland, and Dale Hollow here in KY. It does well on the river or if I can find some brush. Especially on laurel, I'm usually camping and have had the boat move around on me with a bow line to the shore, and the anchor keeping it off the rocks.

I'm considering ordering one of these:
    https://www.wakemakers.com/slide-anc...hor-small.html
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Most guys on the Mastercraft forums use the Box Anchor also, I think that is what I will order.
    iboat.com sells it for cheaper.
    Probably going to get the Danik Hook and Shore Spike also - http://slideanchor.com/default.aspx

Bass Pro 2- danforth anchors under 20.00 each 6' chain and anchor buddy for front.

Danforth and Chain. I'm not sure why some skip a chain.

Quote Originally Posted by plav77 View Post
    Most guys on the Mastercraft forums use the Box Anchor also, I think that is what I will order.
    iboat.com sells it for cheaper.
    Probably going to get the Danik Hook and Shore Spike also - http://slideanchor.com/default.aspx
    That's what I use plus a box anchor and the combo works really well. But I have a pretty sandy bottom so it's perfect for the box anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinOj View Post
    That's what I use plus a box anchor and the combo works really well. But I have a pretty sandy bottom so it's perfect for the box anchor.
    Medium danforth and no chain.
    When I cast the anchor I reverse to set the anchor into the silt or catch the shale and/or old sunken tree etc.
    Works great every time!
    I believe the key is to " set" your anchor
    See too many simply toss their anchir in and expect it to hold.