Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amp suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    Also a big fan of the PPI Phantom amps. All of these small Class-D amps are basically clones of the first ones that were made for ARC. I suspect they even come out of the same factory. The WetSounds are custom designed to a different specification and more expensive because of the brand, the support, and the hydrophobic coating that they apply to the boards. NVX/PPI/AudioPipe/Kenwood/Polk/etc Class D amps are basically all the same. I like the PPI package but wouldn't have a problem with any of the others. Also, these amps are so inexpensive I would add 2 of them -- one dedicated to the speakers and one for the sub. It's worth it.
    I just upgraded my Kicker HLCD 6pack to a pair of WS Rev10's. I have them powered by a pair of PPI Phantom P600.2 amps. They're giving 600w bridged at 14.4v @ 4 ohms (400w RMS at 12v). So each REV410 is getting what they want and then some. I went out yesterday with it and it rocked my socks off. WOW. That said MLA told me that I need a 'proper amp' for my rev410s. I'll see the reasoning soon enough. Gotta love Wakeworld (of course he's posting on this thread too. No disrespect to MLA, he knows his stuff and I'm sure really believes in the quality differential from the brand names vs these new value amps... I'm sure time will tell.)
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

I just ordered the P900.5 so we will see!

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I just upgraded my Kicker HLCD 6pack to a pair of WS Rev10's. I have them powered by a pair of PPI Phantom P600.2 amps. They're giving 600w bridged at 14.4v @ 4 ohms (400w RMS at 12v). So each REV410 is getting what they want and then some. I went out yesterday with it and it rocked my socks off. WOW. That said MLA told me that I need a 'proper amp' for my rev410s. I'll see the reasoning soon enough. Gotta love Wakeworld (of course he's posting on this thread too. No disrespect to MLA, he knows his stuff and I'm sure really believes in the quality differential from the brand names vs these new value amps... I'm sure time will tell.)
    No offence taken, just want you to get the most out of your investment. Hopefully my PM to your inbox over on the moomba site (hate WW's PM setup) will explain. I hope you will see its not a brand thing.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Wylietunes View Post
    No offence taken, just want you to get the most out of your investment. Hopefully my PM to your inbox over on the moomba site (hate WW's PM setup) will explain. I hope you will see its not a brand thing.
    Thanks. Helpful for sure. I got the PM and responded with a request for a smidge more clarification.

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Can you post it all here? I'd love to read about it.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Can you post it all here? I'd love to read about it.
    Mike told me that some of the more expensive amps have a feature set where it'll sum the L&R inputs internally in the amp. And he said that my PPI Amps don't do that and the L&R signals are meeting "at the voice coils" which reduces sound quality.

He recommended that instead of daisy chaining the input of amp #2 off the RCA output of Amp #1, to simply get a pair of RCA splitters and split/sum my signals BEFORE each of the amps. and any loss in line level signal strength will be minimal and likely wouldn't even be noticed since I'm running a 420SQ before my amps.

I figure for $10 in RCA's, it can't hurt to try splitting it that way versus daisy chaining the amps like I have them now.

My problem with it is the fact that I just don't know if I can hear an extra $300+ in an amp. Lol my single 410 running off the old school q450.4 image dynamics after some tuning sounds amazing compared to my old threesome pro80's. For me, I'd have to have a back to back test on my boat and see if I could actually hear the difference.
    (But I'm around jet engines most days without ear plugs walking around the ramps so I'd put money on me not being the best candidate for an audio quality judge! Lol) I've got a PPI 600.2 on the way to replace the ID 450, if nothing else just to clean up some wiring And make some room. But it'll be nice to hear those speakers on an amp that can put out the power they want!
    Overkill is underrated...

'06 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games