Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Owner -89 Sunsport

Hi all, new to the forum. Went on an adventure to Revelstoke the other day to buy a boat. 1989 Sunsport with a Roswell tower. Another highlight is a custom aluminum ballast under the rear seat with pump plumbed in. Can't wait to get it on the water, I think it will be a big step up from my old 67 Larson All-American.

Welcome to the forum . You have a great boat I should know I have owned my 89 Sunsport since 89.

Hey, good to know there are some guys that still like these old boats! I think the boat looks modern still today with the new graphics and gelcoat. It's in overall good condition, one soft spot near the engine bay that I'll have to investigate. If I'm pulling the floor I think I'll wait until fall and tackle installing ballasts under the floor. I see a couple guys on here have done it - I think doing that would make this a great boat for us to keep.

Great boat. Congrats. I've enjoyed my 89 Sunsport as well.
    BTW, anticipate if you are pulling up the floor, you will likely have some wood stringers to replace while you are in there.

Yeah, I am aware of the potential for rotten stringers. We really debated about going newer and getting into all glass, but qfter obsessively scouring the internet for months, and doing a little surfing this last month we thought we might be happier with a bigger, taller boat for our price point. I am fine with an off-season project, it looks like there are a couple people that have documented their restorations very well, so I won't be flying totally blind! I haven't seen anybody uprade to some kind of sea-deck type flooring yet though ...

We had a wheel bearing pile up on the way home from buying the boat (after an hour drive in pouring rain), needed a bearing and hub/brake assembly. Ended up leaving it at a heavy eauipment shop as I had to be back for work (only got 2 hours sleep). Today a friend of mine is going to pick it up - hopefully the boat puts enough smiles on my face to be worth the hassle!

I plan on putting seadek in mine. I just haven't found the time. Congrats on the new boat.
    85 Supra Sunsport project

Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to the forum. I own a 1988 sunsport, they are great boats and im sure your will put lots of smiles on your face. I really like the modern graphics, Now you have me thinking about giving mine the same treatment.
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

I really like the look of the boat too, looks like a much newer boat than it is. We did get it out the other day for a test and cruise, noticed that the bilge seems to pump more often than I'd like to see. It seemed to pump close to a gallon every 15-20 minutes, so I'll have to trace the cause of that. I don't believe it to be coming from the hull, as the hull looks new. Found a few other glitches and small things to get it to where I'd like it, but I sure am glad I went with a deep boat - very comfortable.

These are great boats. I'm sure you'll have many happy days.

You may know, common places for leaks on these boats are the drive shaft nut, the rudder, and the transom at the swim deck and the wake plate stays. Mine leaked pretty bad from the drive shaft nut until I repacked it with goretex. The transom had a little crack at the wake plate stay that we fixed last year. This year, there's only a little water at the end of a session. Starting to feel like I'm on top of that problem.

Congrats on the boat. You'll have lots of little stuff to look after, but it's good you're aware of the likely work in your future with the stringers.

This guy used Gator Step - although not on the entire floor - but I thought the stuff looked awesome, and they made custom pieces based on templates he sent them. Not crazy expensive either. Anyway, his rebuild thread is a good place to get inspired. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...Saltare-Revamp

And, not to nitpick already, but if you're towing with that truck a lot, the hitch looks too high for the trailer. Just an observation. Great pic, though, what a beautiful spot!

Cheers.
    Last edited by SquamInboards; 06-22-2016 at 09:09 PM.