Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Got out tonight finally to do some boarding. I believe the water to be coming from the shaft seal packing. Has anybody done this without pulling the floor up?

Another thing I noticed is that when engaging into gear the transmission chatters a little until you idle it up a hair. I wonder if my idle is set too low and it is having trouble engaging? The tach is not working, but it seems to take less than 50 rpm to quiet the chatter.

That spot just happened to be where I bought the boat. I couldn't believe that a 4" drop didn't get me low enough, you are right I will need to buy a 6". Man does it pull nice though, I guess because the engine weight is on top of the axles.

I will probably post a couple more pics in the next day or two because I'm a dorky, enthusiastic new boat owner. It's nothing fancy, but I like it and it's mine!

I think I know what you're talking about with the transmission "chatter" and yeah, bumping up the idle just a hair might do the trick.

The shaft seal packing is accessible via the panel in the rear floor behind the engine cover. That single piece should be removable easily and you'll have full access. I've posted this link many times before and I'll post it again, some "light reading" on shaft seal packing. More than you ever wanted to know: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box

If you lift off the engine cover, including the carpeted base it sits on, you'll see there is a carpeted board that runs from the back of the engine to the middle seat on the back bench. This should slide forward and out, giving you access to the shaft seal (it may need a good tug or you may need to pull up the base of the middle seat and encourage the floor board forward with a rubber mallet). The Pbase write-up is brilliant. Repacking the packing nut is not too hard. My lock nut was stuck and that took some effort to release. After that, it wasn't bad. Obviously, this is easier if you are not on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by scottschmitt View Post
    Obviously, this is easier if you are not on the water.
    Ha! I've done it in the water, and it's a nice test of your bilge pump. Yeah, better done on land.