Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1989 Supra TS6M Pro Comp. Rebuild

For the next two weeks I am on vacation and have decided to dedicated the time to rebuilding my comp. I've got a few questions, lot's of pictures and a few gotcha's I found a long the way that I'll be posting...

The cap was split on Sunday and ready to head to head out to central Texas where I will be working on the rebuilt.0720151116 (1).jpg0720151117 (1).jpg0720151117a.jpg

I had some trouble finding where the decking line was in the front of the boat. The gap between the walls and the deck gets larger the further forward you go. I used a dremel saw set to a depth of just under 1/4 inch. This allowed me to find the line and cut through the top layer of fiber glass without damaging the hull.DSC05523.jpgDSC05524.jpgDSC05527.jpgDSC05528.jpg

A big Thank You! to all the guys on this site and your knowledge/experience. Originally I was only going to do a partial stringer replacement but based on the comments earlier in the project I decided to go ahead and do a complete stringer rebuild while I had the cap off. I am very glad that I did! I would highly recommend anyone looking to replace the stringers on a comp. do a complete stringer replacement. I found that Supra decided they needed a drain hole under the plastic drivers side foot well; of course the best way to do that was to drill a hole at the bottom of the well, through the stringer and into the bilge area. To top this off it look like they did not do anything to try and seal around the hole that was cut. This looks like the source of the rot through the entire front right side. DSC05525.jpgDSC05529.jpgDSC05531.jpgDSC05532.jpgDSC05535.jpg

More pictures of rot in the front...DSC05537.jpgDSC05539.jpgDSC05542.jpg

Its a lot of work . Why did you start this in prime boating time. Was it not useable with the old stringers for the rest of the season. A couple places to get supplies US Composites for resin,glue and glass matting . Rot doctor for CPES [clear penetrating epoxy sealer].

Okay guys, I need some input...

Do I need to strengthen the transom where the through bolts are for the swim platform? I am attaching a picture of what currently exists. I do not see any signs of stress fractures in the fiberglass or gel-coat...DSC05592.jpg

I also need to know if I should remove all thru-hull and thru-transom bolts and reseal with 5200 or is it a 'if it ain't leaking don't touch it' kind of a thing? The goal of this rebuild is to never have to tear this far into this boat again.

Okay, I've been working almost non-stop for the past few days and have quite a few new pictures of the tear down.DSC05574.jpgDSC05560.jpgDSC05562.jpgDSC05562.jpgDSC05578.jpg

Just a few more pictures from today. I am about to start grinding/sanding the last of the fiberglass which I have decided is the worst part of this entire process!DSC05580.jpgDSC05582.jpgDSC05583.jpgDSC05590.jpg