Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1985 Supra Comp - Technical Info

Hi all!

I was just curious to find out what the weight of my 1985 Comp TS6M would be?

I have been having some issues with the boat being "sluggish" out of the hole shot, and I know the motor does run well with all the new parts I threw at it.

My thinking is that I had an issue where the rivets holding the deck and hull let go on the starboard rear side of the boat. For a while we did not know about this and would have to bilge out the boat frequently (alot). When making corners the deck/hull would open up a gap and water would come through there. Do you think the foam in the rear section of the boat has become water logged and is adding additional weight??

Also, for engine timing, is anyone running advanced timing (from the stock 10 degrees)? Did you notice and response differences?

Any information is appreciated!! Photos will give you an idea of how it sits in the water.

1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt

Sharp looking boat there. My comp had issues when I first got it with getting out of it's own way sometimes. I also had the constant bilging issue that you described. What I did about the rub rail issue was to apply silicone along the bottom of the rubrail to seal it to the hull where water was entering. That is where I would start with on that issue. I have noticed though that my boat always seems to be heavier on the starboard side and I attribute this to water getting into the hull and due to the stringer design has saturated the foam. A deck off restoration is in my near future I bet.

As for the timing issue, mine was initially retarded from TDC when I got it and the plugs were not gapped properly. After gapping them accordingly and adjusting the timing, my boat runs like a top and has no issues getting out of the water, even had enough power to get 5 adults out of the water on skis in about 8 seconds.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Thanks Jet!

I definitely cannot pull 5 adults out of the water on skis! My boat is really bogged down for some reason. I am almost wondering if it has something to do with the weight, as well as the carb. It has a vacuum seconday 4 bbl Holley, and I have had the engine cover off and noticed that the secondaries didn't open up under load.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Fully Rebuilt

Yeah, I ended up scrapping my Holley this past season. The secondaries failed open on me while out on the river and flooded the engine. I switched to Edlebrock and have been happy so far. Carb choice is like an opinion though, what is right for me, others might not agree on. Also, has the ignition been upgraded?

the original 85 comp was 2185 lbs dry. Add to that any extras such as your tower etc.

Has anyone had any experience with OJ props? Specifically the 3 blade 13x11.5 (0.90 cup)? I have heard and seen nothing but positives about this prop, especially for boats with sluggish hole shots.

Im also beginning to think (discussions with other guys) that the prop on my boat may not be stock and was just thrown on to make the sale. This boat was riddled with automotive parts that I replaced, and when the trans was rebuilt and pulled from the motor, the motor basically sprung/twisted to the right from a huge misalignment...thinking it was possibly a rock hit! but who knows...

Havent checked the markigns on the prop yet to see whats on it.
    Last edited by Supra_Comp; 01-19-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Fully Rebuilt

A 1986 comps dry weight is 2200 lbs.

Here are the photos of the prop on the boat as it sits now. Is this an original? Looks like 13x12.

1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Fully Rebuilt

Without having my boat in front of me to check numbers, I want to say that looks like the exact same prop that I am running on my boat right now though I do plan on getting a new one in the future and keeping the one on there as a spare.

Ok good to know Jet! At least I can knock that one off the list, its a pricey one to replace!

One of the biggest issues I have that goes along wit hthe sluggish starts is vapour lock on warm days. Anyone else have that issue?
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Fully Rebuilt