Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Setup

Default Battery Setup

Hi All,

I am new to the Supra family as we recently purchased a 2003 Launch SSV. We have other boats in the family but this first boat solely owned by my wife and I.

My apologies for yet another dual battery thread.

I am in the process of redoing the sound system as the previous owner had no idea what he was doing when installing the amp that is powering the sub and tower speakers, used 16 gauge speaker wire for the power and ground wires with no fuses to protect anything. Part of the redo I adding a second battery with the Blue Sea add a battery 120A kit. My plan was to run everything off the house battery and leave the other to only start the engine. Then I was thinking that if I drained the house battery the bilge pump and blower would not be operable. How do you have yours electronics split between the two batteries?

Thanks
    John

Two words.. perko switch

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPR View Post
    Two words.. perko switch

The blue sea is a perko switch. Just a different manufacturer. And you didn't answer his question. I don't have a dual battery set up so I'm no help. Sorry
    Function before fashion!

Run everything off the perko switch. When youre floating Switch it to one battery. When youre ready to start flip it to the other. When its running switch it to both to recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    Hi All,

I am new to the Supra family as we recently purchased a 2003 Launch SSV. We have other boats in the family but this first boat solely owned by my wife and I.

My apologies for yet another dual battery thread.

I am in the process of redoing the sound system as the previous owner had no idea what he was doing when installing the amp that is powering the sub and tower speakers, used 16 gauge speaker wire for the power and ground wires with no fuses to protect anything. Part of the redo I adding a second battery with the Blue Sea add a battery 120A kit. My plan was to run everything off the house battery and leave the other to only start the engine. Then I was thinking that if I drained the house battery the bilge pump and blower would not be operable. How do you have yours electronics split between the two batteries?

Thanks
    John
    I would run the stereo (and any custom lighting) off the house batteries and all accessories (anything connected to the dashboard) to the starting battery. The add-a-battery system allows you to "combine" the battery banks if you need to run something while the house bank is drained (or the starter battery is dead for some reason. It also combines the batteries for charging while the engine is on. Your bilge and blower fans shouldn't use much energy at all.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I would personally add an ACR, or into the mix with the perko. Blue Sea offers these along with helpful diagrams to help with wiring. This will allow you to isolate the cranking battery, and charge both house and cranking batteries when running. An ACR is an Automatic Charging Relay. Once the relay senses a drop in voltage on the house battery, it will combine charging. when there is no charging taking place, the batteries are isolated by the perko switch.

motor wiring.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Plum Nauti View Post
    I would personally add an ACR, or into the mix with the perko. Blue Sea offers these along with helpful diagrams to help with wiring. This will allow you to isolate the cranking battery, and charge both house and cranking batteries when running. An ACR is an Automatic Charging Relay. Once the relay senses a drop in voltage on the house battery, it will combine charging. when there is no charging taking place, the batteries are isolated by the perko switch.

motor wiring.jpg
    The blue sea add-a-battery kit includes an ACR.

If you want to have the bilge and blower on the main cranking, its now hard to run a fused lead from boat side #1 post to the back of those two switches. Now this leaves anchor/NAV, ballast and what else, drawing from the house bank.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

What's the positive busbar in the diagram?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gnarlydude View Post
    What's the positive busbar in the diagram?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's the stereo/lighting circuit. The other side goes to the engine.