Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone rebuilt their 8.1 liter vortec? Replaced ect?

We surfed for three days straight ran great. Yesterday headed out was just cruising around and started hearing a horrible sound. Sounds like a crank bearing spun to me. Could be a rod bearing. Anyways want to get it rebuilt quickly. Wondered if anyone had any insight.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Hi Scott, great to be out on your boat a few times while it was still going strong and really heart breaking to hear that horrible knocking noise the very first day a lake Nottly! I haven't had to do this with my boat yet but but when I do I think I'll do pull the motor strip the accessories off and take it to a machine shop. Ive had good luck doing that with several auto teardowns and have faith in my local engine shop. That is probably one of the least expensive options but likely take more time.

I just looked at Summit racing and saw quite a few 8.1L marine crate engines starting at about $4500 and up. Depending on how fast you want to do it that might be a good option plus it will come fresh from the GM engine plant with a warranty.
    Last edited by inair; 07-13-2016 at 01:12 PM.
    1991 SunSport

Quote Originally Posted by inair View Post
    I just looked at Summit racing and saw quite a few 8.1L marine crate engines starting at about $4500 and up. Depending on how fast you want to do it that might be a good option plus it will come fresh from the GM engine plant with a warranty.
    And it will not have been run in brackish water either.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Are you home yet Scott? Have you had a chance to look into it any more?
    1991 SunSport

Still at lake Nottely. Headed home in the morning. Hope to have most of it tore down by tomorrow evening and it if the boat by Monday. Too nice to leave this beautiful lake.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

When you surf do you tip your boat to one side or the other? I heard Malibu had problems with their Imdmar engines loosing oil pressure because the boat was tipped and the oil pump pick up was sucking air. They had a fix it was a different oil pump pick up for surfing.

The recall was actually just to replace the dipstick with one that required 1 quart extra oil. They will send you the new dipstick or you can just overfill by 1 quart.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

The sump pick up was sucking air and starving the engine of oil when tipped to the side . Indmar has came out with a different oil sump tube PCM never had the problem.

Definitely will want to check for oil starvation and pickup tube/oil level issues as mentioned. Personally I'd be inclined, if my 454 calls it quits, to build a 460 based stroker motor for my Saltare. BBC is an inferior engine. Not sure if the 8.1 fixed any of the deficiencies in the 454. If doing a full rebuild I'd spend my time and money on something better. May be more complex fitment issues in a vdrive though. In any event, you won't know how to proceed until you get the engine out and torn down to see exactly what failed and how it failed. May get away with bearings and a polish on the crank, or could be looking at line hone and resize mains, rods, or any number of things. Certainly understand the desire to get it fixed quick being middle of summer, but just gotta decide to pull it apart and go from there or order a new short or long block and gamble on rebuilder quality vs doing it yourself and knowing it's right.

The 8.1 (496) Is an extremely heavy duty 454 based motor. 4 bolt mains (with an extra main added I believe) and 4 bolt end caps. The heads though use a 18 bolt pattern.

GM took the 454 and built it up to a dream block, and then ruined it by changing the head bolt pattern...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow