Thread: So long Pro Tec

Default So long Pro Tec

I am sad to pull it off. I think it is really cool. However, for the past 20 years it had acted up and my dad just quit bothering with trying use this boat for skiing... As of the last past 7 years it has has gotten really bad. We used the boat summer of 2009 and 2010. Then the boat sat until 2012 (we bought the Martinique in 2010), got her on the water and tried to figure out the Pro Tec issues. Needless to say the boat got used a few weekends a summer at most.

This year I tore off the ignition pack and brought it into an Electrical Tech professor. We found the inside to be submerged in silicon. We ohmed the coils, they are fine, 11.7 K ohm on secondary, 0.7 ohm primary, and 100:1 turn ratio. So I found out that baking the ignition pack at 300* in the over out gassed the silicon and it turned into beads that I could scrap out. I am still in the middle of cleaning it out to see what is inside.

Today though, a D.U.I Marine distributor will be arriving right from Performance Distributors themselves. We are looking forward to benefits that we keep reading from others who have done it, and hopefully no more misfires and random limp mode.

Will have pics for those interested.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

You have made the correct choice by going with the HEI set up.

Got it in last night. Wow.. Talk about tight fit. Makes me a bit nervous having it wedged against the cooling hose and thermostat housing.. Not much adjustment either. But boy the engine wants to run. Just for fun and giggles I was screwing with the timing and all, at an idle around 400~500 rpm with the timing retarded, this motor sounds pretty mean. Just bellows and rumbles out of the dual 3.5" exhaust... But when I set it by ear for smooth idle and snappy throttle response it is just begging to go in the lake and run. It loves starting up now too. Didn't have to pump it and rev it or anything. No more stumbling around and hunting at idle.

I will get the timing light on it this weekend. I hope it tops out where it should. PCM calls for 30* at 3600 rpm. D.U.I set it for only 24* at 3,000. 6* of timing is a good difference in power. The Pro Tec would advance the timing by 8* beyond the set curve via the knock sensor.

We shall see. So far, great! I got the clear D.U.I. It looks coooooooool
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow